Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meal worms

3 posters

Go down

Meal worms Empty Meal worms

Post by Ainsley1o1 Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:02 am

OK so I bought Fluker's gourmet-style meal worms and they had a juice in them but I dumped it out by accident, Will the meal worms still be good up to their best before date? Also are they safe to feed my girls?

Ainsley1o1

Back to top Go down

Meal worms Empty Re: Meal worms

Post by CallaLily Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:18 am

Yes, they're safe. I've never tried the canned ones before. Let me know how they like them.

I'm guessing the sell by date is for an unopened can. In the refrigerator, I imagine they'd keep for at least a week. I've read that you can freeze them, spread out on a tray and then bagged once frozen, to keep them longer. But like I said, I don't have any experience with the canned.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Ainsley1o1 Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:22 am

CallaLily wrote:Yes, they're safe. I've never tried the canned ones before. Let me know how they like them.

I'm guessing the sell by date is for an unopened can. In the refrigerator, I imagine they'd keep for at least a week. I've read that you can freeze them, spread out on a tray and then bagged once frozen, to keep them longer.  But like I said, I don't have any experience with the canned.

I've had them for longer than a week so maybe it'd be best to throw them out?

Ainsley1o1

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 01 Nov 2017, 11:31 am

I'm not sure. That's just my guess. It doesn't say on the can? Or maybe their website?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Ainsley1o1 Thu 02 Nov 2017, 10:19 am

CallaLily wrote:I'm not sure. That's just my guess. It doesn't say on the can?  Or maybe their website?

Not that I know of Undecided

Ainsley1o1

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 02 Nov 2017, 4:47 pm

Better safe than sorry. I've tried those before, my mice didn't really like them. They are pretty icky. I prefer to feed the freeze dried mealworms, plus they don't expire! I've also fed live mealworms and the mice usually go nuts for those but I don't really like to feed live food... but the mice like 'em.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Ainsley1o1 Thu 02 Nov 2017, 8:24 pm

scaredymouse wrote:Better safe than sorry.  I've tried those before, my mice didn't really like them.  They are pretty icky.  I prefer to feed the freeze dried mealworms, plus they don't expire!  I've also fed live mealworms and the mice usually go nuts for those but I don't really like to feed live food... but the mice like 'em.

Ok thanks!

Ainsley1o1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down