Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diet?

3 posters

Go down

Diet? Empty Diet?

Post by Brixxart Thu 02 Nov 2017, 11:34 am

So, I rescued a mouse from the great outdoors almost ten years ago, she was outside and too young to be alone, we left her there but as the day grew to nearly 90 degrees we took her in after not seeing any parenting or her moving, we raised her on kitten formula and then gave her some diet my parents bought her, she lived a happy few years.

This week I sorta.. accidentally fell in love with one of my friends feeder mice. whoops. so I'll be bringing him home this week, but I'm unsure what his diet should be? She feeds hers some sort of dog/cat food mix? Either way, what I'm asking is if someone could tell me a good brand to buy or even link me to an amazon listing for a good diet.

I read somewhere that they should be provided with a specific variety of fresh veggies and a good brand of pellet/cubes? Could anyone point me in the right direction? Smile

Brixxart

Back to top Go down

Diet? Empty Re: Diet?

Post by elmtree Thu 02 Nov 2017, 1:59 pm

Feeder animals are often fed on higher protein diets to make them grow faster and so the mothers can cope with rearing all the babies, which I imagine is why she's using cat/dog food. Smile

What country do you live in? I don't think I can really give any advice, but it's useful information for those that can as a lot of brands are only sold in certain countries. Smile

elmtree

Back to top Go down

Post by Brixxart Thu 02 Nov 2017, 2:02 pm

elmtree wrote:Feeder animals are often fed on higher protein diets to make them grow faster and so the mothers can cope with rearing all the babies, which I imagine is why she's using cat/dog food. Smile

What country do you live in? I don't think I can really give any advice, but it's useful information for those that can as a lot of brands are only sold in certain countries. Smile

The U.S. Very Happy I see! Yeah, I just want this kid to grow as a pet, he's about the size of a hopper currently

Brixxart

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 02 Nov 2017, 2:18 pm

This link has tons of great links to our info stickies about caring for pet mice: https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t1230-mouse-sticky-index

One of the links you'll find discusses diet. There's a few examples of good mixes that many members around here feed. Others take the info from that page and find something somewhat comparable.
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t15-mouse-diet

A meat based protein (good quality dog kibble, chicken/turkey, scrambled egg, etc) is recommended as a supplement to a base mix. Fruits and veggies are also recommended. These can all be fed 2-4 times a week, about a tablespoon of each per mouse.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum