Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catching a wild mouse?

3 posters

Go down

Catching a wild mouse? Empty Catching a wild mouse?

Post by azrarae Fri 03 Nov 2017, 12:57 am

I know nothing about mice, let’s start with that. But I do have an extra setup for a rodent, I have a couple crittertrails connected together that my hamster used to be in and I feel it might be okay for a mouse or 2? If not that’s okay, I just wont get mice then, I’d want them to be happy. My uncle has an infestation in his tackroom and he regularly kills 2-3 a day. There’s been a couple babies I’ve spotted lately, and I really don’t want them to get killed. Would it be okay for me to take a wild mouse from their home and stick them in a cage? If so or if not I have been eyeing up some feeder mice anyways on Kijiji. Just thought maybe I’d see about catching one that’s bound to die soon instead. Oh and anyway to tell what type they are? They are longer bodied slim fully brown little guys with long tails and my oh my I did not know mice could jumps so high! I’m on my iPhone do not really sure how this I post a picture of them.

Last edited by azrarae on Fri 03 Nov 2017, 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because my grammar and spelling is horible)
azrarae
azrarae

Sagittarius Spaced

Back to top Go down

Catching a wild mouse? Empty Re: Catching a wild mouse?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 03 Nov 2017, 1:20 am

A crittertrail is under the minimum cage size. If you'd like to get some fancy mice, I'd suggest a ten gallon tank with a secure screen lid. They are big enough, make a great starter cage, and are relatively cheap. However, it's best not to keep the wild mice if they are in good enough health to be released. You can catch them and release them somewhere far away from your house like a farm or wild area, and they will live a much happier life out in the wild where they belong. Wild mice don't make great pets anyways, they are wild animals and can carry diseases, so it's best to leave them where they belong, in the wild. Smile Regular pet mice, often labeled as "Fancy" or "Feeder" mice, make great pets, and do not carry all the diseases that wild mice do.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by azrarae Fri 03 Nov 2017, 1:28 am

Alright it’s best the to leave the little wild guys alone, makes sense. I’ve actually got a 10 gallon tank but it’s currently in use by my Betta, looking at the 2 different setups they seem like the 2 crittertrails attached have more floor surface, or that doesn’t matter because the floors aren’t together? And I thought mice would like to have other higher platforms to climb in as well? I’ve got the 2(ish) floor crittertrail and then a smaller single floor one with a bunch of extra tubing going places.
azrarae
azrarae

Sagittarius Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 03 Nov 2017, 2:01 am

Well, I don't think it's a good idea to leave the mice in your house where they might become pests, but it isn't the best idea to keep them either. The kindest thing you could do is catch and release them somewhere that they have a good chance of surviving Smile

According to our cage calculator:

*We don't recommend 5g tanks (or their equivalent
in floor space for any habitat) for long term use by pet caregivers.

A 5 gallon tank is 16 x 8 inches, and an average sized Crittertrail is 14 x 8.5, making it smaller than a 5 gallon tank, which isn't even big enough for a single mouse, unfortunately. It should be continuous floor space, yes. A ten gallon could hold 3 female mice, or 1 lone male comfortably. Smile

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Fri 03 Nov 2017, 11:37 pm

Hi there.
Yeah, if your uncle is killing them, maybe you should catch them and then release them into the wild, like the others mentioned (but that's entirely up to you). And then get some feeder mice from the pet store, if you still want to keep a rescue critter? And I don't advise cages with bars AT ALL.. Mice are escape artists. My very large, fancy male mouse I'd had escaped from a simple, slightly-wider-than-normal spacing in the bars. So tanks are definitely best. And the mice you see are probably just normal field mice, which I call house mice if I see them inside, lol. =)

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum