Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Herbs?

4 posters

Go down

Herbs? Empty Herbs?

Post by CucumberMouse Fri 03 Nov 2017, 4:24 pm

Does anyone know of safe herbs you can feed to your mice? Like any that weren't mentioned on the safe/unsafe food list.

I think I might've phrased that wrong... Undecided . I was looking on a chinchilla sight and I found some herb chinchilla treats that I couldn't find listed on the unsafe/safe foods list, and not much showed up when i tried google-ing it.

http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillatreats.html

if you copy and paste that ^ I think it'll bring you to the website I was looking at. I was just wondering of any of the treat/herbs on that list were unsafe, or if I should avoid any of them?
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Herbs? Empty Re: Herbs?

Post by FuzzyMouse Fri 05 Jan 2018, 7:26 pm

This is all I could find ): https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t2035-mouse-safe-plants-herbs I hope that someone can find out if the chinchilla herbs are safe though!
FuzzyMouse
FuzzyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sleepy

https://merp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Sat 06 Jan 2018, 1:26 pm

most herbs are safe for mice.  i'd venture to say if it's safe for chinchillas it's safe for mice.  i give my mice herb mixes that i get for my chins.  

they may not be interested in them though!  they don't need herbs in their diet but you can try if you want.  i'd stick to the more basic stuff like chamomile, rose hips, mint, parsley, gogi, dandelion, hibiscus, raspberry leaf, calendula.

FYI, they really like a bit of timothy hay tossed in the tank too.

i usually get these:

https://www.amazon.com/Higgins-Sunburst-Flower-Gourmet-Animals/dp/B00DOZ0B5C/ref=pd_bxgy_199_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00DOZ0B5C&pd_rd_r=22KEHYWRZ5HPCG795XMJ&pd_rd_w=kmINx&pd_rd_wg=7ayvC&psc=1&refRID=22KEHYWRZ5HPCG795XMJ

https://www.amazon.com/Higgins-Group-Sunburst-Garden-1Count/dp/B00VF27HBM/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1515266646&sr=8-42&keywords=small+animal+herb+treat

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 07 Jan 2018, 2:01 pm

scaredymouse wrote:most herbs are safe for mice.  i'd venture to say if it's safe for chinchillas it's safe for mice.  i give my mice herb mixes that i get for my chins.  

I had answered about the chinchilla treat page in the other thread about it but I wasn't sure about herbs like hawthorne, lavender, poplar, marshmallow, linden, and thistle. Do you know about their safety with mice @scaredymouse?  Just from a small amount of poking around I'm thinking thistle is ok but I haven't taken the time to really look into any of them thoroughly. Thanks.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 09 Jan 2018, 12:20 am

I would feel safe giving them to my mice. I can't find any more definitive info unfortunately. I know poplar and marshmallow are safe. Thistle is a very safe herb in general. Like i said, mice don't need these things in their diet... But i believe anything save for other critters like chins, guinea pigs, is also safe for mice.

Bottom line, there just isn't enough info put there to say with certainty that they're safe. If i get a chance, I'll ask the experts about it.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 09 Jan 2018, 10:11 am

So everything is safe. But peppermint and rose are considered rodent repellant. That said, you would need a lot of it to repel them. Also, any herbs should just be a small supplement as they don't have any nutritional value for them.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 09 Jan 2018, 1:04 pm

scaredymouse wrote:So everything is safe.  But peppermint and rose are considered rodent repellant.  That said, you would need a lot of it to repel them.  Also, any herbs should just be a small supplement as they don't have any nutritional value for them.

Thanks for digging into it. It's funny, my mice love both peppermint leaves/branches and rose petals. Guess they didn't get the memo. Laughing Truly though I think, at least with peppermint, there's been some confusion between fresh/dried peppermint and the essential oil. One is waaay more potent than the other.

I agree, herbs are more of a treat/supplement to their diet.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Thu 11 Jan 2018, 3:37 pm

i think you are absolutely right about plant vs oil. Heck, peppermint oil repels me too! But i don't mind a little peppermint tea Wink

and at the end of the day, even if it's technically a repellent, it's still safe for consumption in this case.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum