Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Safe to get new buddies?

2 posters

Go down

Safe to get new buddies? Empty Safe to get new buddies?

Post by jay.mayhem Sun 03 Dec 2017, 1:03 am

So my Scuttlebug died in a freak accident yesterday (or I guess it was two days ago, it's after midnight now) and left his buddy Darcy alone in her cage. I know she's grieving right now, but I know females don't do well alone. She'll need a new friend if she is to stay sane.

My concern is: As is the nature of opportunistic carnivores, Darcy ate Scuttle's eyes after he died. I didn't find him in time to get him out before she took advantage, and she did so. She's never been aggressive, she's actually the most docile, nonviolent, sometimes-a-little-clumsy mouse I've ever seen. I worry that she might have a taste for mouse now?

I fully plan to get her (a) new friend(s), I just don't know when to. I quarantine new mice for 3 weeks minimum and would like to go a full month for taming's sake, but is a month long enough? When I do go out (aka as soon as possible if a month is long enough), should I be getting one or two companions? I've heard that does work well in trios but I don't know. The tank I have right now is only a ten-gallon, which isn't horrible if there are lots of things to do, but I could easily upgrade to a twenty.

As far as the meantime goes: how should I be helping her with her grief? Is there anything (besides cleaning the cage and continuing as usual) I can be doing, and is there anything I should be watching for?

Thank you!

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Founder of Project Happy Paws-- phpaws.cf and foster mom to Strudel and Bagel!

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
jay.mayhem
jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

https://laineyslingo.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Safe to get new buddies? Empty Re: Safe to get new buddies?

Post by jay.mayhem Mon 04 Dec 2017, 5:29 pm

So, an update: I went out to petsmart today and bought three new babies. I only went to get two. They didn't have any on the salesfloor, so I asked and lo and behold there were three little girls in the back. There were no others, and I couldn't just leave one there alone. Thus, a month from now, Darcy will have three tiny friends. I'm buying a 20 and a 10 from a woman online (she's selling them both for 10 and I can't pass that up!) so they'll be quarantined in 10s/travel carriers and tamed, then introduced so they can live in the 20.

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
jay.mayhem
jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 04 Dec 2017, 7:31 pm

Hi there, as far as Darcy eating from a mouse that passed, is perfectly normal. It in no way indicates that she now has a taste for blood.  In nature a mouse will do this to get rid of the body to keep their burrows/nests clean and also so that other animals, predators, don't smell that there might be an easy meal. So it's just instinct, nothing to worry about.

Awww three new girls, how exciting! That will be so nice for Darcy. I wouldn't go any longer than the three weeks for quarantine as you don't want Darcy alone any longer than possible. So I would start the introductions in three weeks.

In the meantime, just give Darcy some extra attention and maybe a couple new toys. Very Happy

Can we see photos of your new girls? Very Happy

I agree with you, there is no way I could have left one girl by herself there either. Glad you got all three!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by jay.mayhem Mon 04 Dec 2017, 8:23 pm

Rodents rock! wrote:Hi there, as far as Darcy eating from a mouse that passed, is perfectly normal. It in no way indicates that she now has a taste for blood.  In nature a mouse will do this to get rid of the body to keep their burrows/nests clean and also so that other animals, predators, don't smell that there might be an easy meal. So it's just instinct, nothing to worry about.

Awww three new girls, how exciting! That will be so nice for Darcy. I wouldn't go any longer than the three weeks for quarantine as you don't want Darcy alone any longer than possible. So I would start the introductions in three weeks.

In the meantime, just give Darcy some extra attention and maybe a couple new toys.  Very Happy  

I agree with you, there is no way I could have left one girl by herself there either. Glad you got all three!

Thank you so much! I figured it wasn't much to worry about, but I wanted to be safe. And since you say that, I'll be sure to start introductions in three weeks. Darcy is getting LOTS of playtime and cuddles. As for the girls, they're settling in now (they're never seen fleece, or toilet rolls, or cardboard boxes? they're so happy), but I'll get photos as soon as they stop zooming around!

jay.mayhem
jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Mon 04 Dec 2017, 8:55 pm

jay.mayhem wrote:
Rodents rock! wrote:Hi there, as far as Darcy eating from a mouse that passed, is perfectly normal. It in no way indicates that she now has a taste for blood.  In nature a mouse will do this to get rid of the body to keep their burrows/nests clean and also so that other animals, predators, don't smell that there might be an easy meal. So it's just instinct, nothing to worry about.

In the meantime, just give Darcy some extra attention and maybe a couple new toys.  Very Happy  

Thank you so much! I figured it wasn't much to worry about, but I wanted to be safe. And since you say that, I'll be sure to start introductions in three weeks. Darcy is getting LOTS of playtime and cuddles. As for the girls, they're settling in now (they're never seen fleece, or toilet rolls, or cardboard boxes? they're so happy), but I'll get photos as soon as they stop zooming around!

Glad I could help Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum