Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Give a MOUSE a bone?

5 posters

Go down

Give a MOUSE a bone? Empty Give a MOUSE a bone?

Post by jay.mayhem Wed 06 Dec 2017, 5:44 pm

SO. After returning an overpriced tank yesterday, I hung around the pet store a while to find ways to spoil my children. I got some extra bowls I needed for separation tanks, etc. I found some really cheap dog chews-- nylabone, rawhide, various parts of various animals. Mice are opportunistic omnivores, so I know cooked chicken and such is safe, but how about dog bones?

I bought a 99c beef gullet that I want to give Darcy, but I'm not sure if it's safe. I'd also appreciate if anyone knows about rawhide, nylabone, antlers, or any other kind of bone (like the stuffed ones? with meat inside?) made for dogs. Are there factors I should be watching for? Can they have bones at all?

Much appreciated!

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Founder of Project Happy Paws-- phpaws.cf and foster mom to Strudel and Bagel!

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
jay.mayhem
jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

https://laineyslingo.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Give a MOUSE a bone? Empty Re: Give a MOUSE a bone?

Post by Blessed Wed 06 Dec 2017, 6:31 pm

Um, I personally wouldn't suggest it, lol. But it sounds like your mice are very much loved by you. Love

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by jay.mayhem Wed 06 Dec 2017, 6:41 pm

Blessed wrote:Um, I personally wouldn't suggest it, lol. But it sounds like your mice are very much loved by you. Love

I'm thinking it might just have to go to the dog. I haven't seen much about giving mice bones (I've seen it for rats, but that's a little different) and I don't want to endanger them. I'll probably either give it to my dog or my friend's. Thank you!

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
jay.mayhem
jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 06 Dec 2017, 6:47 pm

I'd stay away from beef and stuffed bones. Don't know about the rawhide, but I'd stay away from that too. Nothing to go on, just eek feelings. lol

I think (edible, not plastic-y) nylabones and antlers would be okay, though.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by elmtree Thu 07 Dec 2017, 4:53 am

There are a lot of things popping up at the moment about how a lot of pet shop bones aren't suitable for any animal, even dogs. Apparently rawhide is often very highly processed and bleached, and a lot of bones are baked and are likely to splinter if chewed. Supposedly, a few dogs have died in connection to using them, but I'd take that with a pinch of salt as there is a lot of scaremongering where animals are concerned.

elmtree

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 07 Dec 2017, 6:56 am

I'm not sure how interested the mice would be but antlers or natural bones would be safe and, if nothing else, could be a fun climbing toy for a mouse. Though most bones sold for dogs that I see are so messy and sometimes are coated with flavorings and other junk....so I'd probably just stick to the nice clean antlers.

I would skip rawhide and nylabones, just to stay on the safe side. As for stuffed bones, what exactly is inside them? If it's just natural marrow, no big deal. But if it's a bunch of junk, skip it.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by jay.mayhem Thu 07 Dec 2017, 6:58 am

Thank you all so much! I think I'll skip the gullet and maybe find some antlers later.

jay.mayhem
jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum