Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will I ever be Forgiven For what I didn't do?

3 posters

Go down

Will I ever be Forgiven For what I didn't do? Empty Will I ever be Forgiven For what I didn't do?

Post by jubilee Thu 21 Dec 2017, 7:45 am

My Mouse is Traumatized. What do I do?

So I went to visit some friends and left my mice to the care of my 16 year old sister.  At one point while I was away, my ten year old sister took off the lid to the cage and started playing with both mice (even though she has been asked to refrain from messing around with them, simply to prevent what follows from happening) .  Phoebe, who has always been a bit more shy, and had never been handled by anyone other then me, ended up scurrying out of my sisters hands and into my room.  This was followed by all my family tearing through my room looking for the mouse.  She was found by my older sisters pillow, urinating and pooping everywhere.  She was then grabbed, and put back in the cage.

Now, due to the traumatizing experience, she is extremely jumpy, shy, and less friendly.  She will still crawl into my hand, but every time I walk into the room she makes a break for her sleeping hutch.  What can I do to earn back her trust?  I'm trying not to be too upset with my siblings, but I'm worried this will effect Phoebe for the rest of her LIFE! Gaah Hot  Help?
jubilee
jubilee

Leo Cold

Back to top Go down

Will I ever be Forgiven For what I didn't do? Empty Re: Will I ever be Forgiven For what I didn't do?

Post by Peachy Thu 21 Dec 2017, 10:49 am

Ack, sorry your little Phoebe had to go through that. Sad Give her time and patience and lots of loving attention. Taking steps backwards is frustrating, but she'll come back around. Is she with other mice? Are there plenty of toys and hides to help her feel secure?

I once had a cat jump over my shoulder into the mouse playpen, grab a mouse, and run to the back of the house with her. She was uninjured, but who wouldn't be terrified after an experience like that?! Things turned out fine for her, though. Your Phoebe will be ok, too. Good vibes
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Will I ever be Forgiven For what I didn't do? Empty Re: Will I ever be Forgiven For what I didn't do?

Post by jubilee Thu 21 Dec 2017, 11:21 am

There are toys and hutches. Her roommate is Sam, who was put back in the tank before Phoebe got lose. SO she has a female companion.

- Remembering Sam and Phoebe Angel Angel  ...
jubilee
jubilee

Leo Cold

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Thu 21 Dec 2017, 2:34 pm

Just sit by the cage calmly and before you enter the room maybe just say hello or another phrase so she knows you are coming. Let your hand rest in her cage so she can sniff it and leave it there for a few minutes so her confidence grows. The same thing happened to one of my chinchillas and I found the best thing to do was to not pick them up. Just let her hang out with you, climb onto your hand and that sort of thing so she trusts you. After a couple of weeks you could start picking her up again for short periods of time until she is comfortable.

Chinsxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum