Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can pet mice live in 55 gallon tanks?

4 posters

Go down

Can pet mice live in 55 gallon tanks? Empty Can pet mice live in 55 gallon tanks?

Post by FirefoxMiho Thu 04 Jan 2018, 11:19 pm

I have a hamster who is elderly and is in decline, so I wanted to give this cage to new pets. I'm doing research on mice and because they will be my first mice, I am planning on getting 2.

The floor space should be around 624 sq inches. (48"x13x21")

If I get them in the coming months, they'll have a large space.

Will the mice benefit from large spaces?

FirefoxMiho

Back to top Go down

Can pet mice live in 55 gallon tanks? Empty Re: Can pet mice live in 55 gallon tanks?

Post by chiroptera Thu 04 Jan 2018, 11:31 pm

I don't see why not, as long as there's plenty of toys and hides and bedding for them! Though I do know a lot of people tend to recommend a smaller enclosure at first for taming, but that's up to you.

I would definitely recommend getting a trio of girls if you're doing that, though! Males will fight and seriously injure each other if they're housed together, so unless you wanted to give one boy the whole space, does are your best bet. And they tend to do best in colonies of at least three, as it balances out dominance issues a bit better most of the time.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Can pet mice live in 55 gallon tanks? Empty Re: Can pet mice live in 55 gallon tanks?

Post by River Fri 05 Jan 2018, 1:29 am

If the cage has lots and lots of toys, yes, they would like the space! Mice can get anxious in open spaces, though, so make sure there's plenty to do everywhere they go. Check out the housing section to see just what I mean.

New untame mice might be easier to tame in a smaller space initially, but overall, I'd go for it. They certainly won't mind.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 05 Jan 2018, 8:22 am

I usually suggest starting out in a smaller enclosure (the minimum for the number of mice) because 1) it can make taming much easier and 2) it makes that quarantine period where you're watching them for any health problems, pregnancy, etc easier to see what's going on.  Then once you're through that and have them tame, move them up to their larger home and see how things go.  Usually it goes just fine and they appreciate all the extra room.  Like others have said, be sure to pack their tank with things to do, climb, chew, hide - way more than you usually see done for hamsters.  Good luck!  I hope you'll share pictures of your new mice and their home. Very Happy

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down