Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Diet?

3 posters

Go down

Good Diet? Empty Good Diet?

Post by FuzzyMouse Fri 05 Jan 2018, 10:18 pm

I am finding it hard to research and find a good mouse diet. Some of the foods I hear are good are Supreme Petfoods Science Selective Rat food, Vitakraft VitaSmart Parakeet Food, and Sun Seed Vita Prima Sunscription Parakeet Food. I was wondering if I could just feed one of these by themselves? I thought the Rat food sounded good until I saw the price if I needed to buy that I can, but if I could use a cheaper brand instead it would be much appreciated. So I was thinking of just feeding either one of the parakeet formulas, would that be ok? Also, I was wondering what else I should add to the diet. So far I am planning to add dried mealworms, small bits of strawberry, pasta (also I was wondering if all kinds of pasta are safe? And do they have to be cooked or can they be like the hard pasta?), some rolled oats (would quacker old fashioned oats be ok?), millet, oats (like the ones meant for birds that are on sprigs), maybe kiwi (are seeds safe?), flax seeds, and scrambled eggs. Sorry for all the extra questions! Like I said I have been having a hard time researching this stuff. Thank you for answering! Very Happy
FuzzyMouse
FuzzyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sleepy

https://merp.com

Back to top Go down

Good Diet? Empty Re: Good Diet?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Fri 05 Jan 2018, 10:29 pm

Just one of the parakeet foods is fine. It's the easiest way to get a decent diet. Unless you want to get more complicated in order to make a better diet (calculating GA, buying multiple foods to balance everything, etc.), the parakeet food is your best bet. I would not recommend just feeding the Supreme Petfoods Science Selective Rat food alone, because I believe those are lab blocks which have zero variety. You want lots of variety to keep your mice happy and stimulated.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 05 Jan 2018, 10:53 pm

You're right Anon, the Supreme science selective can't be fed on its own. Lab blocks, so zero variety. I feed my mice a mixture of 2/3 vitakraft vitasmart parakeet food and 1/3 supreme science selective rat food. I get the parakeet food for the variety and good taste, and the lab blocks as a nutritional supplement (mainly cause I'm really bad at remembering to give veggies). It works exceptionally well!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by FuzzyMouse Sun 07 Jan 2018, 7:31 pm

AnonymousMouseOwner wrote:Just one of the parakeet foods is fine. It's the easiest way to get a decent diet. Unless you want to get more complicated in order to make a better diet (calculating GA, buying multiple foods to balance everything, etc.), the parakeet food is your best bet. I would not recommend just feeding the Supreme Petfoods Science Selective Rat food alone, because I believe those are lab blocks which have zero variety. You want lots of variety to keep your mice happy and stimulated.
Thank you AnonymousMouse!
CinnamonPearl wrote:You're right Anon, the Supreme science selective can't be fed on its own. Lab blocks, so zero variety. I feed my mice a mixture of 2/3 vitakraft vitasmart parakeet food and 1/3 supreme science selective rat food. I get the parakeet food for the variety and good taste, and the lab blocks as a nutritional supplement (mainly cause I'm really bad at remembering to give veggies). It works exceptionally well!
Does that diet get expensive? I saw the rat food was like $20, but I guess if it was only 1/3 of the diet it would not cost too much.
FuzzyMouse
FuzzyMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Sleepy

https://merp.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 08 Jan 2018, 2:06 pm

It's a little pricey, but because you use less of each food, it balances out enough. I'm always willing to spend more for my animals, though. Nothing is too expensive!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum