Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls..

+5
deleted
CinnamonPearl
Peachy
AnonymousMouseOwner
KendraTheMouse
9 posters

Go down

New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls.. Empty New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls..

Post by KendraTheMouse Tue 23 Jan 2018, 9:44 pm

So I got a male rat. He was the only one at the pet store and my friend's feeder fancy rats are understandably biters so for school I got this dude. I will admit he's pretty darn cool and wish I could offer him a better home. For now though we are squeezing 4 adults, 3 dogs, 9 cats, two mice, a rat, a rabbit, and a 30g fish tank into a 3 br duplex. Luckily one roommate is moving out soon and that will give more room for things and less living things in the house. I contacted the school program dean and basically said this is inhumane practice to require students to own these species even if for a semester. I got the reply along the lines of "you need to do this to get your degree and we need you to do it to leep accreditation". So although its healthier to be in wire and with a friend he's alone in a 20g. I think he's already bored but I'm trying to make friends by talking to him while I study and do housework. I put my hand in his cage and he will eventually come over and put one foot in my palm. At the store he sat on my shoulder for 10 minutes. Kendra and Bon Qui Qui are loving the stuff my boyfriend bought them. He made them a wood deck and got ladders and a giant nut stuffed with fluff. I know the rat needs more but Im having to do this on a budget. I'm going to get cardboard boxes and make him a castle of cardboard to climb and explore. My friend gave me an old harness to give him time out so I can take him out in a cat free place for exercise. New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls.. 20180115
New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls.. 20180114New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls.. 20180115
New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls.. 20180114
New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls.. 20180116

KendraTheMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls.. Empty Re: New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls..

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 23 Jan 2018, 11:08 pm

Cute ratty and mice! The rat sounds so sweet Love Are you going to keep them forever or just for the semester? Does he have a name? Smile Here's a link to a cool page with things you could make for your rattie to keep him happy while you have him: https://www.dapper.com.au/toys.htm

New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls.. Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls.. Empty Re: New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls..

Post by KendraTheMouse Wed 24 Jan 2018, 6:29 am

Thanks! I dont think my home is suitable for prey animals. I have too many predators. Even when my boyfriend and I get our own place we will have 6 cats.

So I have the cages located next to my bed they're on my dresser that functions also as a nightstand and a sorta graveyard for my deceased pets ashes (I told you I'm really tight on space!) The ratty slept in the corner closest to the head of the bed all night. He isnt sleeping in the snuggly bedding. Is he able to tell that I have ashes next to the back of his cage? Are their noses good enough to know what it used to be? New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls.. 15167910

KendraTheMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 25 Jan 2018, 9:28 am

I have no idea if your rat can smell and know what the ashes are, but I'd say probably not. Maybe you could make more use of the vertical space and offer a hammock for him to cuddle in.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Thu 25 Jan 2018, 11:11 am

I also don't think that rats can live in tanks? I'm pretty sure the ventilation issues are detrimental to their health.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by deleted Fri 26 Jan 2018, 9:43 am

He's adorable, and I'm happy that you do your best for him, but I really think he should at least get a friend and a wire cage.
The wheel also looks like a medium? rats need the largest possible or no wheel at all.

I would honestly question a school who requires people to keep pets...

deleted
Jr Member
Jr Member

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 26 Jan 2018, 11:20 am

I agree with Nova wholeheartedly.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 26 Jan 2018, 2:38 pm

Try looking on second hand sites/groups for a good deal on a better suited rat cage. A friend for your rat would be a good idea too, if you can. Definitely check out rat sites for ways to keep them entertained. There are a lot of cheap and easy diys out there that will work wonderfully.

It's horrible that they require students to get a pet/s that they may not have even wanted or don't have the means to care for them properly. And then only to be tossed aside like dusty old school books. Sad

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CucumberMouse Fri 26 Jan 2018, 6:34 pm

I think there are some youtube videos that show rat "dollar store" hauls, so you could get some good ideas from those, too.
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by KendraTheMouse Sat 27 Jan 2018, 12:46 pm

The wheel is a giant flat disc that spins and since he's kinda little and it was given to me for free I figured he might enjoy it. I'll take it out. In veterinary technology we are required to have a rat a mouse and a rabbit for this laboratory animals class. I've already contacted the dean and school regarding the requirement and had accreditation thrown in my face. I need the class to graduate though so my hands are tied to just keep swimming through the best that I can even though I dont have the funds or space or time for three extra responsibilities. The rabbit is taking up most of the space and all of the funds I managed to save for the semester because it has to go under anesthesia to have an eye roved due to parasites. As for the tank vs cage. My cats will kill him through wire and I have no where for a wire cage. The rabbit is in glass as well, his tank is a petstore display tank for rabbits that was being thrown out. We have a main coon cat that opens doors and lifts box lids, its just not safe unless its solid and weighed down. But trust me, the school has been well notified by phone and in writing..

KendraTheMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Sat 27 Jan 2018, 1:29 pm

How different things are now! One of my roommates at the university was studying "Animal Technology". It was 2½ years, no breaks, with an almost guaranteed job as a veterinary assistant waiting at the end of it. Some days she'd have to get up before dawn and head down to the campus barns in her waders and wellies, and in the evening she'd tell me tales of things like having to reach into the trailing end of a cow up to her shoulder to feel how things are supposed to be arranged in there. But we didn't have to keep the cow, or the sheep, or a bunny, rat, mouse, or goldfish in our room. .

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 27 Jan 2018, 1:38 pm

That university sounds like an exception. Not sure what they're thinking, forcing animals on students who can't take care of them.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by KendraTheMouse Sat 27 Jan 2018, 4:54 pm

Yes this is for certified veterinary technology. For this program that I'm taking is online there is a campus and the campus provides the animals for the students but since I live across the state I am not provided an animal I must get one on my own. The school recommended that I purchase and return an animal to the pet store in order to complete this course however most pet stores have a 14 day return policy and the requirements for the course exceed the 14 days. Also the pet stores near me do not sell rabbits therefore I had to go on Craigslist and buy a rabbit that was sick in order to pass the class. Trust me when I say this the school has been notified and expectations have been made hopefully this will be resolved and I'll be the last it's such a compromising position

KendraTheMouse
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Wed 31 Jan 2018, 3:41 pm

What a nice rat! He reminds me of my first and only rat I had years ago, named Snickers.
New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls.. Cid_0410
New ratty and down-upgrade for the girls.. Cid_5710
I want rats again... =)

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum