Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cancer Mouse Hospice Care?

+2
scaredymouse
DVirginiana
6 posters

Go down

Cancer Mouse Hospice Care? Empty Cancer Mouse Hospice Care?

Post by DVirginiana Sun 05 Jun 2016, 10:55 pm

So I work at a Petsmart and one of our mice has pretty widespread cancer and the exotics vet has said the only option is monitoring his quality of life until time for euthanasia. My manager knows I keep mice and have a spare setup so he asked if I would be interested in taking him home for hospice care basically... I'll probably bring him home next monday once I get completely moved to my new place, but I was wondering if anyone has the link to that cancer diet? Also , do you think I should give him a wheel or would the exercise cause too much strain?

I put this in the general care section even though it's serious bc I already know the problem and eventual outcome so it's not really urgent... I've been calling him Dr. Lumpy, and he's in bad shape physically but still eating and playing well.
DVirginiana
DVirginiana

Back to top Go down

Cancer Mouse Hospice Care? Empty Re: Cancer Mouse Hospice Care?

Post by scaredymouse Sun 05 Jun 2016, 11:12 pm

I've got a mouse on hospice right now with really aggressive cancer. She's got lumps all over and one on the front of her neck but she's not ready to go just yet. She has trouble breathing with too much activity. I had a wheel in the tank and still enjoyed running... But she had a pretty bad breathing episode, so I took it out. She looked like she had a bronchospasm and was gasping for air, it was awful. I would be inclined to skip the wheel unless he's still got a fair amount of energy and no shortness of breath. If you're not sure, maybe only put it in for a short period every day, so he still gets to have fun but doesn't have the opportunity to overdo it.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by DVirginiana Sun 05 Jun 2016, 11:17 pm

He's got a pretty big lump on his throat, so I may just give him plenty of soft snuggly toys and things to chew then.
DVirginiana
DVirginiana

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 06 Jun 2016, 2:25 am

Aw, poor guy. Sounds just like my Annie. Is he young, too? I would think so if he's at the pet store. My Annie is less than 6 months old. I'm heartbroken.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by DVirginiana Mon 06 Jun 2016, 3:04 am

No idea on his age. They're all fairly young when they get to the pet store, but mice almost never get sold, especially males. So he could really be any age; he's been at the store since before I started working there... Poor guy Sad
DVirginiana
DVirginiana

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 06 Jun 2016, 5:04 pm

I took this pic of one of NM's threads back when Twix developed her tumor, just for easier access. Hope it helps.

Cancer Mouse Hospice Care? Wp_ss_20151001_0001

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 06 Jun 2016, 8:10 pm

There are definitely worse things than spending your whole life at petsmart, but it's still a sad little life. I'm glad he gets to go home with you for the rest of his days Applause

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Tue 07 Jun 2016, 8:38 am

Give him a wheel for sure. Exercise is good. And don't spare the treats.

He might as well really enjoy whatever time he has left. Some mice live a long time with tumors and others die rapidly, in a matter of weeks.

Give him a wheel and if he's in distress using it then take it out.

Don't be afraid to pull the plug on his life too if all he does is sleep and doesn't move around very much. You really truly don't want to wait too long. I made that mistake several times and i still feel bad for making my mice go through too much.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DVirginiana Fri 10 Jun 2016, 3:11 am

Thanks for all the advice guys! I brought Professor Lumps home tonight, and he seems pretty happy. He's been sleeping on me while I watch masterchef lol. Once the time comes I'll be taking him back for euthanasia, though I hope he'll rally a bit with more specialized cancer care and attention. I care about him, but knowing that he was a hospice case from the get-go makes it a bit easier to make that decision when the time comes I think.
DVirginiana
DVirginiana

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 10 Jun 2016, 4:38 am

Aw, I'm glad to hear he's home in kind and gentle hands. He sounds like a sweet little guy, snuggling up with you.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Fri 10 Jun 2016, 7:13 am

How sweet of you to bring him home Smile that's lovely that he'll get to spend his last days being cared for, in a real home!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by DVirginiana Sat 11 Jun 2016, 3:02 am

He's already perked up a bit since yesterday. I think just having the extra attention is helping him. So far I've only been able to add walnuts to his diet but I'm going to go out and pick up some chicken and egg tomorrow and introduce bits of that too.
DVirginiana
DVirginiana

Back to top Go down

Post by jefferycwilson Fri 08 Jul 2022, 1:37 pm

Fenbendazole worm infestation medication is considered a promising therapeutic agent for several cancers. fenbendazole has been safely utilized as an anti-parasitic for various different animal species and could be repurposed for treating human malignancies. You can find more information at Fenbendazole.org

jefferycwilson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down