Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cordelia's Fortress of Solitude

4 posters

Go down

Cordelia's Fortress of Solitude Empty Cordelia's Fortress of Solitude

Post by MesaMouse Tue 07 Jun 2016, 5:27 pm

My remaining senior mouse, Cordelia, has been alone since Anya passed on June 2nd. It's hard to know how she's doing because she's created a Fortress of Solitude in her tank. Talking to her during the day elicits no response, not even a rustling of the bedding. Cordy does come out late at night when I talk to her while topping off her food bowl but waits until all the lights are out before coming out to eat a bit. Poor girl Sad .

Cordelia's Fortress of Solitude Cordelias%20Fortress%20of%20Solitude_zpsqr1w9ina

Cordelia's Fortress of Solitude Cordelias%20Fortress%20of%20Solitude%202_zpschkdtlba

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Cordelia's Fortress of Solitude Empty Re: Cordelia's Fortress of Solitude

Post by MouseLover Tue 07 Jun 2016, 8:10 pm

Is she getting pretty old now? If so it could be partly due to old age. I have had old mice reach a point in their life where they sleep, eat and drink. Of course she could be lonely, and thus depressed. If you think this is the case try and give her as much company and out of cage time as possible.
I assume you're not planning on getting any more mice?

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Tue 07 Jun 2016, 10:51 pm

Cordelia is two years old, the same age as her late sister Anya. Both of them were pretty much at the more-sleeping-than-eating stage but both tended to be visible in the evening and both would always poke their noses out from wherever they were hidden whenever I'd stop by the tank to call them, day or night. Even though Cordy and Anya did not spend much time together (they each had a close friend among the three mice who passed on since November), I know that Cordy misses the presence of another mouse. At this stage of my life, as my arthritis continues to get the better of me, there are no plans for more mice so Cordelia will live out her remaining time sisterless. For several months now, coming out of the tank for more than a quick kiss on the head and a few minutes of being held has not appealed to Cordy so more one-on-one time with me probably wouldn't be soothing to her. I just continue talking to her whether I can see her or not and know she's still hanging in there because the Cheerios have all been eaten by morning!

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Wed 08 Jun 2016, 12:56 am

My mice went through a grieving period after Penny died and built a fortress as well.  After about a week, they went back to their normal selves.  Obviously during cage cleaning day, I had to bother them and tear down their nest.  They chose not to rebuild after the first week of solitude.  Here was their keep out nest Cordelia's Fortress of Solitude LZPlegh

They took every scrap of toilet paper in the tank and stuffed it in the hammock.  They had never done that before and I didn't see them at all during that week.  It was so clear that the were grieving.  It made me sad.  They have such rich social lives that we can only get little glimpses of.  I hope your little mouse comes out soon.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Wed 08 Jun 2016, 1:09 am

Sorry about Cordelia's grief and Anya's passing. It always hard on those left (both people and mice). Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum