Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rest Easy Roxie

5 posters

Go down

Rest Easy Roxie Empty Rest Easy Roxie

Post by casualmousemom Wed 07 Mar 2018, 10:36 am

I got a call from a friend who worked at a pet store, they had a massive shipment of feeder mice come in and they didn't have a large enough tank for them so about 140 mice of varying age and gender were all in one tank, my friend asked me if I wanted to maybe come and get some out of that situation. I had an extra cage I wasn't using so I thought I'd go get a few in hopes of giving them a little happiness. When I got there it was just saddening to see all these mice running around in a much-too-small tank. I took my time and selected a few to bring home with me, it's hard to not want to take them all. They all were small and sickly looking, unkempt and matted fur, they were feeders, not meant to be pets, and the cashier told me not to get my hopes up. They have all since passed on, and much too soon, but they were all well cared for the short time I had them with me. they were all bright, playful, and loving.

One that has stuck with me though, is Roxie. She was under a pile of about 20 mice, not moving, she looked disoriented. I took her home, got her to eat and drink some, and let her rest on my chest until the early hours of the morning, when she passed away. She was so sweet and gentle, her eyes were never dull, she had a bright soul in them, and I wish I could of had more time with her. I knew she was clearly ill, but I guess I didn't expect her to be gone so soon.
Rest Easy Roxie Img_2710

casualmousemom
Jr Member
Jr Member

Gemini Stressed

Back to top Go down

Rest Easy Roxie Empty Re: Rest Easy Roxie

Post by River Wed 07 Mar 2018, 4:21 pm

She died knowing love. Thank you for giving her that chance.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by BananaPie Wed 07 Mar 2018, 4:42 pm

That's such a kind thing to do for those babies. It's so hard to see a sick mouse. Maybe it's because they have so much life inside them when they're well. I'm sure they appreciated what you did for them.

Hearts
Heart Rainbow2 You can't keep a good mouse down! Cookie Heart   
BananaPie
BananaPie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Wed 07 Mar 2018, 5:53 pm

Poor little mousie. She shows signs of starvation/dehydration, the way the bone structure shows through the skin on her tail, and the prominent knuckles on that little foot. If she seemed uninterested in eating or drinking very much, then her little body was probably just shutting down. Even force-feeding doesn't always turn around that process, and sometimes it does more harm than good if the body suddenly finds it has an influx of basic food materials to work with when it has already shifted to more complicated processes to derive energy from its own fat and muscles during the time sufficient food was not available.

So what you did for Roxie was just about the best thing anybody could have done. Bless her, and all the other little ones at the store that day. What tragic mistreatment going on there.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 10 Mar 2018, 8:21 pm

I'm so sorry for your loss. You did a wonderful thing to let the mice feel love even if it was for too short a time. At least they left this earth knowing what love feels like, thanks to you. You are an angel Smile
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down