Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wish Us Luck!

5 posters

Go down

Wish Us Luck! Empty Wish Us Luck!

Post by River Thu 08 Mar 2018, 12:11 pm

Graham saw the vet again today!

They said it doesn't present as OCD, because she doesn't actually have a ritual. She explained that most mice with OCD will stick to one spot even when the scratching spreads out, or at least their ritual will switch to another spot much more slowly, as that's how obsession works. Compulsions do take time to go away or change, something I've actually noticed with my own OCD tendencies. Graham, on the other hand, lets one spot heal and moves on to another very suddenly. There just seems to be something else going on...

...So what is it? They had some other doctors take a look at her to help decide on the best route of treatment.

Well, there's no signs of mites and she can't be treated anyways as she has open wounds on the necessary application site, nor is it a fungal infection. They said the very best option to stop the scratching -- the last thing that they think could stop it at this point -- is steroids. She was given a corticosteroid injection, which helps with rashes, allergies...etc., and should help her scratching. She only needs one as it will stay in her system for four weeks. Trust me, she didn't like it! This means I shouldn't have to change her diet, but a lot of people and pets here in Florida are getting itchy. We're having a terrible allergy season, which could affect her too.

She's also on Trimethoprim and continuing her Silvadine to speed healing. She can have Benadryl in some applesauce or diluted and syringed when necessary.

It's a lot! The doctors at her vet are confident it'll work, and she can actually show some improvement by tonight. If it doesn't though, she'll have to see a specialized dermatologist.

Send some good luck her way! She may be old but she's got a lot of fight left, I feel confident she can recover. She's in otherwise amazing health for her age, at a steady weight of 31 grams, energetic and sparky as always.

Here she is eating some snacks...my peace offering for making her see the vet.  

Wish Us Luck! 28783619_413780219073970_3982239664791078676_n

Wish Us Luck! 28685351_413780289073963_7508165384438759556_n

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Wish Us Luck! Empty Re: Wish Us Luck!

Post by BananaPie Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:15 pm

That poor baby! Hopefully it helps her get better! She definitely deserved a snack after what must have been a scary experience for her. Cookie

Hearts
Heart Rainbow2 You can't keep a good mouse down! Cookie Heart   
BananaPie
BananaPie
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mousetropolis Thu 08 Mar 2018, 5:58 pm

Aww, poor Graham! She sounds like she had a rough day Sad Hope to see her feeling better soon!
Mousetropolis
Mousetropolis
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Zen

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Thu 08 Mar 2018, 7:02 pm

Such a weary-looking little mousie-mouse. I hope she has easier days ahead and can forget about some of what's been going on, so she can get back to her usual glamourous lifestyle. Sorry I haven't been able to help.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 09 Mar 2018, 7:28 am

Sounds like you’re on the right path to helping her. Hopefully she’ll be better in no time.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum