Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sounds what they mean?

+2
AnonymousMouseOwner
MiasMice
6 posters

Go down

Sounds what they mean? Empty Sounds what they mean?

Post by MiasMice Sun 18 Mar 2018, 3:43 am

I can't really find any info about mouse noises anywhere so can someone maybe point me in the right direction or just give a few noises and what they mean?

Lily & Freya

Mice

Not yet...  Wink

Dogs

Taffy, Bella & Lola

Over The Rainbow Bridge

Rosie
MiasMice
MiasMice
Jr Member
Jr Member

Dreaming

Back to top Go down

Sounds what they mean? Empty Re: Sounds what they mean?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:18 am

Not sure exactly what you mean by this, mice only have one sound that the human ear can actually hear as far as I'm aware, and that's squeaking. They normally squeak to each other in tones we can't usually hear, but when mice are in scared, in pain, or arguing with each other, they will sometimes let out loud squeaks that we can hear. Other than that, mice are pretty silent!

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 19 Mar 2018, 2:43 pm

Actually, you're forgetting about chatter! Some mice make little noises, happy noises, that we can hear. It's not that common but they are adorable. I think they sound a little like a chicken.

Here's an example of lil Smokey telling me about his day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOqdU-TfWz8

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 19 Mar 2018, 7:46 pm

Mice also brux! This is a teeth grinding sound they make when you cuddle them. My Graham does this frequently.

Other than that there's squeaking and chatter. I've had a handful of vocal mice but always double check with someone experienced to be sure its not a URI. I've had chattering like is linked above that appeared to be my girl calling for her late cagemate (or her complaining about being at the vet), and a short "ch" sound that expressed irritation or excitement. It usually does express an emotion but that emotion isn't set in stone.

Last edited by River on Mon 19 Mar 2018, 8:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 19 Mar 2018, 7:50 pm

River wrote:Mice also brux! This is a teeth grinding sound they make when you cuddle them. My Graham does this frequently.
Bruxing is audible? I had no idea! My mice do the teeth grinding and I catch it every so often, but I've never actually heard it. There's a fan going 24/7 in the room I have them in though, so it might just not be quiet enough for me to hear.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 19 Mar 2018, 7:59 pm

Yep! I can hear it with Graham, but it can be easy to miss sometimes. It sounds much like you'd expect teeth grinding would sound like. Laughing

I'll try to get a video tonight!
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 20 Mar 2018, 8:39 am

In my experience chattering isn’t always happy. My Bacon would do it when she seemed very annoyed with me. She was one of two mice (out of 12) that I’ve had that were not interested in spending any time with me whatsoever. She would make that chittering noise when I went to get her out of the tank and sometimes after being placed back in a clean set up.  That’s just how I always took her chattering anyway.

I don’t have experience with respiratory infections but I’ve always read they’re more of a clicking noise and quite different from the chattering noise.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MiasMice Sat 24 Mar 2018, 2:38 am

Thanks everyone for this info!! It was super helpful!

Lily & Freya

Mice

Not yet...  Wink

Dogs

Taffy, Bella & Lola

Over The Rainbow Bridge

Rosie
MiasMice
MiasMice
Jr Member
Jr Member

Dreaming

Back to top Go down

Post by Wishfulturtle Wed 04 Apr 2018, 11:13 am

If they brux, can they also boggle like rats? :I
Wishfulturtle
Wishfulturtle

Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum