Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It happened again.

2 posters

Go down

It happened again. Empty It happened again.

Post by jay.mayhem Sun 18 Mar 2018, 10:13 pm

**WARNING some graphic content. I try to keep it to a minimum but some things you can't leave out.**

Mice are so innocent from the outside that you'd never expect the stuff you see. Oy.

Last December, I posted about my recently passed Scuttlebug, who broke his neck and was, well, a little marred when I found him. I thought that was bad, but my poor sister got it worse today.
Last night, her wild mouse, Shiloh (Scuttle's sister) was fine and romping like usual. This evening, when she went to feed Shiloh and fancy mouse companion Daisy, she found what was, from what I understand, essentially a murder scene. She couldn't find Shi at first and when she lifted the fleece, you couldn't tell it was her. My father was the one to clean up and there wasn't enough to even bury-- he couldn't find the skull.

Daisy is unharmed. She has not a single mark on her and seems fine, so she didn't kill Shiloh. We don't know how she died and will never know because Daisy cleaned up so well (ew ew ew), but it wasn't aggressive.

I'm just tired of worrying. I went through the same thoughts with Scuttlebug-- was it my fault? did Darcy do it? but it's nobody's fault. Darcy and Daisy did what mice do. Scuttle and Shiloh were both too wild for their own good- they lived long lives compared to the measly five days they would have lived. I'm just ugh.

So question time. I know Daisy is going to need lots of attention and probably new friends. My sister is worried because Shiloh and Daisy would sometimes argue over food, so she doesn't want to get more mice if Daisy is going to hurt them. She doesn't want to put her in with my crew-- Darcy (Daisy's sister) and sisters Daphne & Saratoga. They're too well established and have just settled into a good groove. How soon is too soon to make the decision on what to do-- and what /should/ we do?

Thank you so much,
Tired of mouse disasters.

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Founder of Project Happy Paws-- phpaws.cf and foster mom to Strudel and Bagel!

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
jay.mayhem
jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

https://laineyslingo.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

It happened again. Empty Re: It happened again.

Post by jay.mayhem Mon 19 Mar 2018, 7:27 am

I forgot to add: Daisy has scores all down her tail. It's definitely bite marks, but I'm not sure if it's from Shiloh or herself. Again, they had some arguments, but that's not the cause of her death. It wasn't uncommon to see them groom each other-- could it just be over-grooming?

Other pets: Kitties Juniper, Ozzie, and Rosie, Teddy Bear the poodle, Chinchillas Lily and Nina (a mother-daughter pair), Ferrets Hope and Azrael, and the fish-- Neon Tetras named after the Beatles and a Bristlenose Plecostomus named James. James is female.

Founder of Project Happy Paws-- phpaws.cf and foster mom to Strudel and Bagel!

Rest in peace, dear Scuttlebug and Shiloh. I love you both, now and forever. You'll always be my babies.
jay.mayhem
jay.mayhem

Scorpio Worried

https://laineyslingo.weebly.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 19 Mar 2018, 2:38 pm

How old is Daisy? FYI, it's not uncommon to bicker over food. I've seen my sweet mice take literally steal food out of each others mouths. You have a little time to decide what to do with Daisy. Even if you got her a new friend today, you would still have to go through the 3 week quarantine.

I used to be a lot more apprehensive about introductions but after doing it enough times, you get used to things. I would probably introduce her to your current colony. If it works, great. If not, you take her out and things go back to the way they were before.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum