Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vet Questions

4 posters

Go down

Vet Questions Empty Vet Questions

Post by CucumberMouse Mon 26 Mar 2018, 12:38 pm

So, my mouse and I are going into our first vet check up today. What should I expect? I know each vet will be different, but what are some common things that happen in a mouse check up? How likely is it that they'll pick up the mouse by it's tail? Also, my mouse refuses to eat cucumbers :/ I don't know why. Any idea as to how I could keep him hydrated on the way to the vet? It's about 20 minutes away from my house, which isn't too long of a drive, but I like to give my mouse some way to get water.
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Vet Questions Empty Re: Vet Questions

Post by River Mon 26 Mar 2018, 4:02 pm

Is he sickly?

They'll probably weigh him, check his breathing, look him over for tumors, check his teeth, look for discharge and activity and then do more thorough examinations of whatever specific problem he's having. That's all I can remember happening. They did take her into the back once to look at a wound in her ear under better lighting, if your boy has one there still they'll probably do the same.

I kept kale in my carrier! Not that she wanted any, but any veggie he'll eat will work out alright.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Mon 26 Mar 2018, 5:28 pm

I was afraid that the vet would handle my mouse roughly too, but I was very relieved when I saw how well she was handling her. They didn't pick Autumn up by her tail once. The vet assistant came in and gently scooped her up, put her on the scale for a few seconds, and put her back. He asked a few questions about her diet, housing, etc., then he left. Then the vet came in and she was very gentle too. She picked her up gently, and immediately heard her sneezing and knew she had a URI. We talked for a bit and I answered some questions, she gave some advice, then she went back and mixed the medicine. Then a different vet assistant came and showed me how to give Autumn the medicine. She was a little more rough with her, but that's understandable because it isn't easy to give mice medicine. She didn't pick her up by the tail or anything though Smile Then that was it. We paid by the door, and left. It might depend on what your mouse's illness is, and how easy it is to diagnose, but in normal circumstances, you're likely to get asked a lot of questions, while your mouse will only be looked over a little.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by CucumberMouse Mon 26 Mar 2018, 5:38 pm

He does have a scratch under the ear so I'm hoping that they'll help with that. Did you get to go into the back room when they were looking at your mouse? It's really good to hear they didn't handle Autumn rough. I can handle answer as many questions as they want to ask, but I get pretty nervous when anyone else has to handle my little guy Shock Thank you both so much for all the help Smile
CucumberMouse
CucumberMouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by River Mon 26 Mar 2018, 9:42 pm

The vet also never picked Graham up by the tail. She hates the vet -- she's great with everyone else but she just knows when it's a vet I guess -- but even with all her wiggling they were quite good with her. They were also gentle when they showed us different ways to medicate a mouse, which was pretty impressive considering how hard it is to medicate a scruffless mouse.

I didn't go in the back, but with how they handled her before, I was fine with that. I trusted them enough at that point. She didn't seem too distressed when they came back -- and they gave her a shot back there once, too.

Vets tend to be gentle and caring towards animals. Try not to worry! Hopefully his scratch will be a simple fix.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 27 Mar 2018, 7:40 am

My vet has me let the mouse walk around the exam table a bit, then he gently picks them up for a brief examination. He’ll ask a few questions about what’s going on and then explain treatment options. Weighs them. They have taken a few in the back before, like when Hazel had xrays, but not every time. They’ve been very gentle even when medicating or giving an injection. Never once picked them up by the tail. They always comment on how chill the mice are with handling. Not that my mice are super duper tame mind you. I’ve seen pics and videos of many other mice who were much tamer than any of mine. They don’t see very many mice there, but have a fair amount of experience with rats.

I usually put in a bit of whatever veggie or fruit I have on hand and a sprinkle of their food. I also bring a shallow water dish and bottled water, just in case. But my vet does walk-ins only so I know the wait is going to be long. As long as they have something wet to nibble - apple, pear, broccoli, zucchini, etc - they should be just fine. Even if your mouse refuses cucumber normally, he’ll likely nibble it in this situation to stay hydrated.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum