Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I tame a mouse who is not interested in treats?

3 posters

Go down

How do I tame a mouse who is not interested in treats? Empty How do I tame a mouse who is not interested in treats?

Post by Bandit Cat Wed 08 Jun 2016, 8:19 pm

My mouse, Cotton, does not like treats. I know a lot of the taming process depends on treats. (spoken from doing it many times with gerbils and hamsters! Smile ) I waited a week after I got him to start taming (last Saturday) and today he came and sat on my hand. Very Happy I just want to know what do I do now?

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

How do I tame a mouse who is not interested in treats? Empty Re: How do I tame a mouse who is not interested in treats?

Post by CallaLily Wed 08 Jun 2016, 8:44 pm

Actually, it's best not to use treats during taming. It can encourage biting. If you do use treats, hide them around the mouse cage for them to find after the taming session is over.

Here's an article with more tips on taming. https://petmousefanciers.forumotion.com/t8-taming-handling-mice

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

How do I tame a mouse who is not interested in treats? Empty Re: How do I tame a mouse who is not interested in treats?

Post by Soren Thu 09 Jun 2016, 12:24 am

Sitting on your hand is good progress! Most of my even tame mice, wont sit on my hand without a treat, lol. I think encouraging him with companionship is a good way to go, you want him to like because of your attention, not because you have tasty snacks. Keep doing what you're doing!
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum