Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Fir Branches Safe For Mice?

5 posters

Go down

Are Fir Branches Safe For Mice? Empty Are Fir Branches Safe For Mice?

Post by Bandit Cat Thu 09 Jun 2016, 1:10 pm

I bought a fir branch from the bird section of Petsmart today. Are these safe for mice?

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Are Fir Branches Safe For Mice? Empty Re: Are Fir Branches Safe For Mice?

Post by Soren Thu 09 Jun 2016, 1:27 pm

I tried to research safe mcie wood, but it doesn't mention fir specifically. The only thing i could find that mentioned fir, was a site that listed safe wood for gerbils... And it said that fir is UNSAFE for gerbils to chew on. I don't know if it will apply to mice as well, but i'll keep looking. But if it unsafe for other small rodents, i wouldn't jump and put in in their cage yet.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Fri 10 Jun 2016, 1:33 am

NO FIR

I did a little more research and I would recommend not to give your mice the fir branch. The closest I could find, was a rat site that stated that Fir is TOXIC to rats. Rats and Mice share some things about their biology, and if it will kill a rat, I would not give it to your mouse. There's also a post on fancy mice breeders forum about wood, that has a list of things you should and should not give your mice (although it's very similar to the list for rats). Both lists say fir is toxic.

Here are some resources you can read on wood a safety:
http://exoticpets.about.com/od/RatSupplies/fl/Safe-and-Toxic-Woods-For-Rats.htm
http://www.fancymicebreeders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7357
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 10 Jun 2016, 1:46 am

Fir is a member of the pine family (coniferous trees), and since pine is not safe, it seems logical to conclude that fir would not be safe either. I don't think anyone has ever asked about fir branches before!

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Fri 10 Jun 2016, 1:11 pm

Thank you both! I'm glad I didn't just straight away give it to him. Smile

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by Ealexander Thu 16 Jun 2016, 11:04 pm

My mouse loves twigs from my mom's basswood tree. We baked them for like four hours at 165 while she was making some bbq. I like it because I know my mom doesn't spray any chemicals at her house and basswood's safe and tasty.
Ealexander
Ealexander
Jr Member
Jr Member

Aries Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 17 Jun 2016, 7:10 am

Ealexander wrote:My mouse loves twigs from my mom's basswood tree.  We baked them for like four hours at 165 while she was making some bbq.  I like it because I know my mom doesn't spray any chemicals at her house and basswood's safe and tasty.

I had a ladder made of that wood. My mice really loved it too.

At the moment my mice have apple wood, the "Willow Garden Pretzel Sticks," and the "Tea Time Mini Crunch" stick bundle. Their favorite of these three seems to be the Tea Time ones.

I don't think any of my trees are safe (peach, pear, crabapple, mulberry, pine, and curly willow).  I know some species of willow are considered safe for mice- I'm just not sure which? And I'm not sure if crabapple branches would be safe like other apple tree branches?

Edit: I just noticed the links posted above and according to them crabapple, pear, and mulberry are safe.  I'm surprised by the mulberry, so I've been looking elsewhere and will continue looking. Mind you, most of these lists are for rats, gerbils, chins, hamsters, etc. Any I see posted for mice specifically seem to just be copies of those. Not sure if that makes any difference but thought it was worth mentioning. I'm finding for willow - stick with Goat, Weeping or Pussy Willow.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum