Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I get litter mates?

2 posters

Go down

Should I get litter mates? Empty Should I get litter mates?

Post by Fukari Wed 11 Apr 2018, 8:55 pm

So, I know that Zazu is going to pass. I accept it. Hes had a large tumor growing for months, and I have to deal with it, unfortunately. Although hes dying, my father did say I am allowed to get mice still, because I showed responsibility while with Zazu, apparently.
I definitely wanna try getting two. I believe I'm ready for the challenge, since I've raised Zazu since he was just a little thing. I do believe Zazu cannot have surgery, since his tumor has already gotten too large. I may have to put him down, which is also unfortunate. Even if he passes, that is not the question.
I do believe I should get litter mates, and probably females. Male litter mates might fight for dominance or something, so the females might be the best way to go.
I feel so bad for Zazu, but all I can do for him is get him to the vet. If he needs to be put down, I accept his fate. ):

At least I can still get more mice. Any name ideas?
Fukari
Fukari
Jr Member
Jr Member

Artistic

Back to top Go down

Should I get litter mates? Empty Re: Should I get litter mates?

Post by Peachy Wed 11 Apr 2018, 9:37 pm

If you want to keep more than one mouse, than three females is ideal. Whether they're litter mates or not doesn't really matter, but if they already know each other you don't have to worry about quarantine and introductions.

Three mice means two things:
First, when one passes, the other isn't left alone. This is important because friends are SO important to females. Without friends, female mice can get depressed.
Second, three females often will get along better than two. Mousey relationships can be intense, often leading to undesirable behaviors like bullying and over-grooming. Having three females helps "distribute" the intensity because the dominant one has more than one mouse to focus on.

A lot of people wait until they have their mice to name them. It's much easier that way! But picking a theme works well for brainstorming. Seasons, nature, your favorite TV show or music group/artists. My first theme was Greek mythology.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fukari Wed 11 Apr 2018, 9:44 pm

Yeah, I love Greek mythology! I might name them after Greek gods, like maybe Artemis and Apollo? Or if I get 3 I can name them Hades, Poseidon, and Zeus! The Greek mythology works out perfectly with names, which is great.
I suggested maybe getting 2 mice that are a similar age? That way, they definitely could relate to each other.
I don't know if I'll be allowed to keep 3, but 2 is definitely an option.
Fukari
Fukari
Jr Member
Jr Member

Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 11 Apr 2018, 9:53 pm

Yes, Greek Mythology is wonderful. My firat ladies were Athena, Artemis, and Demeter. My firat boy was Apollo, and the next was Orpheus.

Just keep in mind that two mice is an incomplete hierarchy and you're opening yourself and the mice up for potential problems and heartache. I can't stress how important it is to make sure your girls always have friends, unless you intend to get out of mouse keeping.

Age won't matter much either, it will come down to size and personality. Many of my old ladies have loved playing with the babies!
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fukari Thu 12 Apr 2018, 4:09 pm

Got it! I'm definitely thinking about naming them Artemis and Apollo. But I think I'll probably get girls, since males can be territorial and stuff like that.
I might do the Greek gods that swore not to have children, like Artemis and Athena, or Hestia.
Have you read Percy Jackson?
Fukari
Fukari
Jr Member
Jr Member

Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Thu 12 Apr 2018, 5:51 pm

Yes, I LOVE the Percy Jackson and the Heroes series. There's another fun one but I can't think of the title at the moment. Thinking
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fukari Thu 12 Apr 2018, 7:35 pm

I absolutely love them too!
Currently, I've read all the Percy Jackson's, and I'm on the Hero's of Olympus.
I also started to read the Trials of Apollo, I thought it was a pretty nice story actually.
I'm almost to the end of the House of Hades, then the Blood of Olympus I think.
Fukari
Fukari
Jr Member
Jr Member

Artistic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum