Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What RULES should this site have?

+4
Peachy
CallaLily
Artistwolf
Brynne
8 posters

Go down

What RULES should this site have? Empty What RULES should this site have?

Post by Brynne Fri 08 Apr 2016, 12:48 am

This site will eventually need rules. Let the administrator (I'm not sure what she's calling herself on this board) know what rules you would love to have and/or would hate to have.

The most tedious part of my job on the last forum was having to vet the links that newer members posted. If someone submitted a photo of a cute mouse, but that photo was a link to an entire photobucket album, I had to browse through the entire album to make sure there were no pet snakes or topless women. The rules clearly stated that any content anyone linked to had to be quote, "child friendly." It also had to comply with all of the other rules.

I find "child friendly" to be FAR too high of a bar to set. I never saw anything horrible in anyone's links. A few had pet snakes, but not a single one had a photo of a snake being fed. To be honest, I don't care what people have on their photo-hosting sites. I never would have looked at most of them if it wasn't part of my job.

I think "generally PG-rated" would be better for a mouse forum.
Brynne
Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

What RULES should this site have? Empty Re: What RULES should this site have?

Post by Artistwolf Fri 08 Apr 2016, 9:22 am

I agree. I also don't think that snakes and all should be so censored. I mean, like, we all know they exist. We all know what they eat. I like snakes. Seeing a photo on someone's album isn't going to kill anyone IMO. Besides the fact that I'm not actually going to go browsing through someone's whole photobucket after I only clicked to see a mouse photo, lol.
I think we need to keep "no double posting" but we need to add "within the 15 minute interval" if we're doing that here at least. After that, double posting should be okay. No triple posting though, unless it's important.
Umm yeah I can't think of anything else, really...

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 09 Apr 2016, 8:24 am

I don't mind if snakes come up in off topic or wherever, but I understand many would prefer not to see pictures of them eating.  Now, searching through someone's whole album, when they've only directly linked a few forum related pictures, seems a bit overkill. I have a snake, and even though I think she's beautiful and I love her, I know a pet mouse forum is not really the place to share her. I'm ok with that. There are plenty of forums out there for snakes/reptiles.

I agree about the double posting. I would also like a bigger window for editing time. I think that would actually reduce a lot of the incidences of double posting.

Obviously rules about spam, language, rude behavior, respecting Admins and Mods. Things that keep the forum neat looking, like picture, avatar, and signature size.

Isn't this thread more suited for the "Help, Comments, and Suggestions" area?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 09 Apr 2016, 9:03 am

I was thinking similarly about the edit time and double posting, so it's set up that posts can be edited for eight hours.

(Was also thinking Suggestions for this thread. Haven't given myself any mod permissions so I can't move it until I can get on the computer. lol)
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 09 Apr 2016, 9:12 am

Ooh, almost forgot. I'm also on board with a rule about replying to very old threads. This one always bugged me on other forums that didn't have the rule.  I feel like unless it adds something very important to the topic (or it's your own ongoing thread you're updating), threads older than ____ months shouldn't be replied to.

And a rule about only one account per person.

Edit: And I was wondering, after we're finished moving stuff over, should the majority of the stickied threads be locked from replies?  It would keep things neat and from getting confusing.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Sat 09 Apr 2016, 9:28 am

I agree with the double posting rule, too. And the one about old threads, it can get messy, and that annoys me Razz

Also, I think the threads everyone is working on now should be locked from replies, once everything is finished, that way they don't get messy Smile
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Sat 09 Apr 2016, 12:12 pm

I agree with the locking thing too. Otherwise it could get super confusing.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:37 pm

Looking through people's photo albums for any sort of rule-breaking pictures seems pretty overkill. So long as no one's posting any photos against the rules directly to the forum, it should be fine. And no one's going to get offended over seeing a snake. Snakes have to eat, and that's all there is to it.

I do have a question. Are all our old mods and admins going to be returning to the task? Sorry if someone already said, but I didn't see it in the big thread on TFM.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Brynne Sun 10 Apr 2016, 6:51 pm

CinnamonPearl wrote:Are all our old mods and admins going to be returning to the task? Sorry if someone already said, but I didn't see it in the big thread on TFM.

I can no longer afford to volunteer, so I'll just be a rabid fan. I think NM is moving on from mice.
Brynne
Brynne
Sr Member
Sr Member

http://bit.ly/MyOldVHSTapes

Back to top Go down

Post by SiriuslySmitten Wed 20 Apr 2016, 1:27 pm

I can help out some with modding if you want. I used to have my own forum for Harry Potter fans, and am a mod on a Rupert Grint forum, so I've been there, done that. I can't commit to hours every single day - life - but would be happy to help out Smile

NM, moving on from mice??

Libra Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by Norman's Mom Fri 22 Apr 2016, 1:04 am

I'm not "moving on", but seriously slowing down.  

I'll pop in and hang out, and answer questions and drool over your babies, and maybe share some of mine when I take up the hobby again (All my girls have passed on and I am currently mouse-less at the moment)- But, frankly - I no longer have the time, or the tough-skin to want to be a Admin again for a long while.  I did it for nine years on TFM - I'm calling in for a nice, long break to just be a regular member of a very happy mouse-forum.  Very Happy

I will happily step up to answer any historical questions about info gleaned from TFM too, or any procedures we used over there to apply over here should you guys need any guidance if a situation should arise. After nine-years Admining TFM, I'd like to say I've seen and dealt with -a lot- of weird stuff and situations that you just don't have rules for, and that you can't plan for - there are some real sickos out there - so just keep your guard up. The big thing was being able to moderate new members manually and vet them before allowing them to post on the public forum willy-nilly. Rules are great - but many won't read them, and many don't care. Moderation was the key to keeping TFM clean, it really was.

Jr Member
Jr Member

Pisces Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 22 Apr 2016, 5:26 am

I think we only need to start really thinking about what new members might do if we even get any. This site doesn't even pop up with a Google search. We can self moderate ourselves for now, and think about the long term when it becomes more necessary.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 22 Apr 2016, 8:14 am

We're on the first page of Google if you search pet mouse fanciers. lol Maybe we should change our name and address to "Fancy Mouse Forum." Razz
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down