Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotton Escaped!

+3
MouseLover
CallaLily
Bandit Cat
7 posters

Go down

Cotton Escaped! Empty Cotton Escaped!

Post by Bandit Cat Fri 10 Jun 2016, 1:10 pm

Last night, I checked on him and filled his food dish up. He was still in the cage. This morning, a family member says, "Was that a mouse?!" I ran over to his cage, which was still closed, and looked for Cotton. He was not there. He had gotten out of my room, and into the neighboring room. (which, might I add, was very messy, and a perfect place for a mouse house) We managed to get him into the closet (still very messy!) and trap him in a cup. I put him back in the cage, and left the cage in the bathtub. I came back 10 minutes later, and he was just sitting on top of his cage. He'll be living in a 10 gallon from now on.

I'm super sad because I'm pretty sure I ruined the taming process, and he won't like me anymore. Crying or Very sad

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Cotton Escaped! Empty Re: Cotton Escaped!

Post by CallaLily Fri 10 Jun 2016, 1:18 pm

Oh no! Glad you caught him. That's the trouble with cages, the bars are often too far apart or bend easily. Sad

You probably have taken a few steps back in the taming process but with continued work, you'll get it back. Good luck.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Fri 10 Jun 2016, 1:20 pm

Oh dear! How old is Cotton, and what was the bar spacing on his cage?
Tanks are practically escape proof, so that's great that you've got a tank for your little Houdini!

Regarding the taming process, I'm sure no permanent damage has been done Smile he'll get over it soon enough, just keep on with it!

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Soren Fri 10 Jun 2016, 1:29 pm

That's scary! What kind of cage was he in? It's amazing that he lived there so long when he is able to get out.
Soren
Soren
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aquarius

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Fri 10 Jun 2016, 1:36 pm

If it was a barred cage, then mystery solved. Switch him to a 10 gallon tank as soon as you can. It's good you caught him!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 10 Jun 2016, 7:05 pm

Eep! Glad you caught him, silly mouse. I had a girl slip out of a  cage once. She enjoyed her freedom but came back around pretty quick. I hope Cotton will, too. Smile
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Fri 10 Jun 2016, 7:27 pm

I have barred cages and have never had an escape, except for the one time when my boyfriend left the cage door open after handling my mice (can you believe it?!). I almost had a heart attack when I saw the door open in the morning and frantically checked their nest to find them not there. I found them having a great time crawling around underneath my bed. Thank goodness the bedroom door was closed.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Sat 11 Jun 2016, 7:09 am

MouseLover wrote:Oh dear! How old is Cotton, and what was the bar spacing on his cage?
Tanks are practically escape proof, so that's great that you've got a tank for your little Houdini!

Regarding the taming process, I'm sure no permanent damage has been done Smile he'll get over it soon enough, just keep on with it!

I just got him 2 weeks ago and I think the bar spacing is 5/8 inches. I don't know why he would live in the cage for 2 weeks and then just run out.

Pets: Bandit (cat), Yahtzee, Peanut, and Gingersnap (gerbils), Cotton (mouse), Calypso and Merlin (bettas), my 60 gallon fish tank, discus tank, shrimp tank, guppy tank and a new bearded dragon called Simber!
Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sat 11 Jun 2016, 8:01 am

1/4 inch spacing is what I usually see recommended. I've also seen it said up to 3/8 is ok for adult mice. Anything bigger than that (or bars that bend easily) they'll squeeze out of.  It's likely he just didn't realize right away or maybe it took him some time to get bold enough to leave the safety of his home.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 11 Jun 2016, 11:24 am

5/8 inch is about 1.5 or 1.6 cm, which is much too big really, even for a big mouse I wouldn't risk it.
I use 6 or 7mm bar spacing for young mice (1/4 inch) and a maximum of 9mm (just under 3/8 inch) if they're big adults.

I assume Cotton is your first mouse? It's hard to imagine mice squeezing through such tiny spaces, until you see it in action Shocked

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Sat 11 Jun 2016, 11:28 am

Until you can get a proper 10gal tank, I would keep his tank in the bathtub. Cover the tub bottom with a loopless blanket or a towel, and leave a bowl of food and a bowl of water on the outside of the tub. Now that he knows he can get out, he'll take advantage of that, and you don't want him to be unable to get access to food and water. Obviously you can't watch him twenty four hours a day, so be prepared.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Sat 18 Jun 2016, 5:23 am

Did you get a proper tank yet?

I wouldn't worry about the taming process. One of mine "escaped" a week or so ago and has been friendlier than ever since.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bandit Cat Sat 18 Jun 2016, 8:12 pm

I switched him to the 10 gallon after he escaped. He still hasn't come around though.

Bandit Cat
Bandit Cat

Daring

Back to top Go down

Post by peas Sun 19 Jun 2016, 1:41 am

Keep talking to him often and announcing your presence. I find if you talk to them when they are on their wheel or talk to them when you come in and out of your room if they're up, it helps them get used to you being around.

The more you handle them and talk to them, and give them new toys ( a piece of cardboard or a tp tube etc.) the more they see you as a good time.

Any setbacks, are usually minor ones. I had an unhappy mouse for some reason i can't remember. Girls though, but they went through a phase where one was really friendly then suddenly not friendly for a few months then super friendly suddenly. Sometimes it can be a few steps forward and a few back in the early months. Even the hardest cases will come around eventually if you keep at it.

peas
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down