Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 questions: mouse hair loss and noises

2 posters

Go down

2 questions: mouse hair loss and noises Empty 2 questions: mouse hair loss and noises

Post by casualmousemom Tue 08 May 2018, 3:27 pm

1) my mouse Dorothy is one of my most skittish girls, I’ve been patient and trying to gain her trust slowly but I noticed something alarming the other day, she’s having some fur loss around her muzzle and under eyes, I though maybe she was over grooming or perhaps another mouse was over grooming her, I decided to keep an eye on her for a few days and today I noticed what seemed to be light scabbing... can anyone help me identify what is happening and what I should do? There’s a lot of info and I feel lost.

2 questions: mouse hair loss and noises 5ed1a110

2) I just read that mice aren’t supposed to make noise, or very rarely, I feel silly about this because my mouse Scout is always chatty when I pick her up, and I thought it was cute but not I’m worried, does this mean something is wrong? I read it could be a respatory problem but I’m just not sure, is there a few other signs I can look for? She makes small chipy noises when she explores or runs up my arm, I guess what I’m asking is it possible to have a talkative mouse or is this a sign that she’s ill?

casualmousemom
Jr Member
Jr Member

Gemini Stressed

Back to top Go down

2 questions: mouse hair loss and noises Empty Re: 2 questions: mouse hair loss and noises

Post by CallaLily Tue 08 May 2018, 5:42 pm

Is she scratching a lot? Barbering is usually neat patches of hair loss and the skin underneath is usually perfectly healthy, though sometimes can be a bit red/irritated. Has she ever been treated for mites?

Mice do make noises it’s just most of them are out of our hearing range. You might hear squeaks during arguments or grooming. Some mice do chitter when excited or annoyed. @scaredymouse has a great video of an example of a chatty mouse. If she’s constantly making noises with every breath or the noises are more like clicks or sneezing, a vet trip may be the best.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

2 questions: mouse hair loss and noises Empty Re: 2 questions: mouse hair loss and noises

Post by casualmousemom Tue 08 May 2018, 9:23 pm

Dorothy doesn’t seem to be scratching much, the only patches are on her face, but from what I’ve seen she’s grooming an awful lot, she’s the only mouse I have experiencing this.

They only seem to make noises when I handle them or when their horsing around, with the occasional noise here and there. It kinda sounds like a sharp exhale, not quite a sneeze... idk, I’ll take them to the vet soon but I’m tied up the next week so I can’t for the time being

casualmousemom
Jr Member
Jr Member

Gemini Stressed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down