Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sneezing mice + fatty mouse

2 posters

Go down

Sneezing mice + fatty mouse Empty Sneezing mice + fatty mouse

Post by Bennies_mice Thu 10 May 2018, 7:09 pm

Hi everybody! I have two girls, Cora and Amèlie and a little baby who is about to be fully weaned in a week or so. I recently noticed the girls making a sneezing noise. Since I don't want to bother them I'm only spot cleaning the cage so I thought that maybe the old bedding and the stuff in the nest could be the problem. Or maybe they're just being extra chatty and I just take that squeak as a sneeze? I'm still taking them all to the vet as soon as I move the little bud.
Another thing is that the one who had babies 3 weeks ago is getting fat. She looks just like when I realised she was pregnant, with the bulges at the sides when she stretches. She doesn't look like she swallowed a golf ball but she still has quite the belly! When I adopted her she was only 2 months old so could it be that she was not fully grown? I'm sure she can't be pregnant because her cagemate is 100% a female. She is also still lactating so I thought that that might be the cause!
Thank you in advance ❤️
Bennies_mice
Bennies_mice
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

Back to top Go down

Sneezing mice + fatty mouse Empty Re: Sneezing mice + fatty mouse

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Thu 10 May 2018, 7:40 pm

If mumma mouse just lost nearly all of a litter, but is still producing milk sufficient to feed that litter without enough mouths to drink it all, it is possible that she is becoming congested with milk. That backed-up milk can become a breeding ground for bacteria, and could lead to a widespread infection. It might be wise to get her to a vet who can check her out for signs of infection and prescribe treatment if necessary.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennies_mice Thu 10 May 2018, 7:49 pm

She unfortunately lost 7 babies and she's still feeding the one that's left. I'll talk to the vet next morning and take her to get checked first thing after the baby is fully weaned! Thank you!
Bennies_mice
Bennies_mice
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down