Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wheels / Smells

5 posters

Go down

Wheels / Smells Empty Wheels / Smells

Post by IamAllurre Fri 11 May 2018, 3:07 am

Hello Everyone!

After multiple attempts to get my three girls to use the restroom in only 1 part of the cage, I seem to be losing control. The girls have now been going potty mostly on their wheels, and because there are 3 mice it cakes up VERY quickly and the smell is EXTREME.

Though myself I do not smell it, The wheels are VERY VERY difficult to clean, and upkeep as they seem to be using them NON stop. I have the silent spinners on the stands because the noise was to much for us to take with the regular plastic wheel. NOW it seems we have landed that the only cause of the smell is the wheels.

When we remove them it stops smelling as horrible because they seem to use the bedding and the smell is under control, add the wheels and it cakes on and it's horrible in 1 day tops. I am aware owning three mice means some upkeep, BUT once every day I am cleaning two wheels simply so I can breathe in the room. There has GOT to be a resolution other then removing the wheels completely - and I am EXTREMELY close to doing so. Is their a different type of wheel? OR maybe something I can do for the smell the wheel and the cages seem to be causing? I have tried every bedding the store offers and I am allergic to the wooden chips so that's not an option. Mostly I was thinking of a wheel alternative, though I have already spent 40+ on the wheels.

Thank you for all your help!

IamAllurre
IamAllurre

Aquarius Worried

Back to top Go down

Wheels / Smells Empty Re: Wheels / Smells

Post by Jadamouse Fri 11 May 2018, 5:19 am

hmm, i have had the same problem in the past. for some mice it is just very difficult to get them to stop. you could try taking the wheel out for a little bit, maybe during the day while they are less active, and if they wee on the substrate at all scoop it up and put all the peed on/pooped on substrate in one corner, thi sometimes makes them want to wee where their scent already is. if you are using an upright wheel try a flying saucer, and vice versa. honestly this is all i can think of that you can do, definitely don't remove the wheels all together though.

to make cleaning the wheels a bit easier you can use baby wipes if you don't already as it is fast and easy. good luck Smile

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 11 May 2018, 9:01 am

Unfortunately this is just a part of owning mice, especially young mice. Sometimes you get lucky and have some very tidy mice that pee in the same spot and move poos to the same spot (they have very little control where poo falls), but most just go where they go. In my experience, with young mice you just gotta suck it up and clean the wheels as needed. Which as you’ve found out can sometimes mean daily. The good news is almost every mouse I’ve had has gotten better at this with age. Either because they run less or because they become neater about it.

Some prefer mesh wheels because the poo generally falls through and therefore doesn’t build up as quickly. They’ll still need frequent washing though because of urine, but likely not daily. There are some who claim these wheels aren’t safe but many more who have used them for many many mice for many many years with no issue. So I suggest doing your own research about them and forming your own opinion if you’re interested. Don’t confuse hamster info for mouse info though.

Flying saucers can sometimes be easier because most poo will fling off of them. But if your mice are super messy they may still need just as frequent cleaning.

I do not suggest removing the wheels permanently. They are considered a necessary item in a mouse house. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ Wed 05 Sep 2018, 2:56 pm

Hi. if it's hard to clean try switching to a saucer. I have two of the medium sized ones from petco. They're easy to clean and look cute.

Back to top Go down

Wheels / Smells Empty Poop Free Wheel!

Post by AmyLynn Thu 06 Sep 2018, 11:41 am

So I had a similar problem. Too much poo on the wheel. My boys (when they where babes) would mash it in and it would get all over their feet. even when cleaned twice a day.  Plus the smell was indeed awful. I did two things that worked great.

1) I switched to a mesh wheel. The poo falls through Smile So way less cleaned and feet where not all covered with poo! Yay

I  Put Orchard grass in the cage. It combated the smell along with my baking soda fridge boxes outside the cages.

Hope that helps!

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyLynn Thu 06 Sep 2018, 11:52 am

You can get a safe mesh wheel at petco and on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/You-Me-Hamster-Wheel-8-75/dp/B074RH71BL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536249433&sr=8-1&keywords=you+and+me+mesh+wheels

I would mention that you do not want to get a used one as that some older versions were not safe.

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member