Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I just bought 3 female fancy mice from PetCo

+4
chiroptera
Peachy
freckles24
SupremeSlyce
8 posters

Go down

I just bought 3 female fancy mice from PetCo Empty I just bought 3 female fancy mice from PetCo

Post by SupremeSlyce Fri 11 May 2018, 1:37 pm

Hey, So my girlfriend & I bought 3 Fancy Female Mice about 2 days ago. We’re very new to owning mice, so we’re somewhat uneducated. I haven’t actually owned a pet of my own, so I’m new to that in general. I’ll have some pictures below of our setup & pet mice so you guys can tell me if I’m doing anything wrong or if I’m fine. I worry quite easily, so I just wanna know if we’re doing okay or not.

I also have a feeling our cage is too small for 3 mice, so I need to be totally sure. I just bought 3 female fancy mice from PetCo Image12
I just bought 3 female fancy mice from PetCo Image13
I just bought 3 female fancy mice from PetCo Image10
I just bought 3 female fancy mice from PetCo Image11

SupremeSlyce

Back to top Go down

I just bought 3 female fancy mice from PetCo Empty Re: I just bought 3 female fancy mice from PetCo

Post by freckles24 Fri 11 May 2018, 2:27 pm

It’s typically recommended that 3 female mice have a minimum of 10 gallons (which is 10”x20”) What are the dimensions of your cage? It’s probably fine.

I’d be more worried about the size of the wheel minimum diameter is 6.5” and bigger is better.
freckles24
freckles24

Taurus

Back to top Go down

I just bought 3 female fancy mice from PetCo Empty Re: I just bought 3 female fancy mice from PetCo

Post by Peachy Fri 11 May 2018, 2:36 pm

Welcome, and congrats on your ladies!

I had one of these cages as a last resort for my OCD boy. It's not quite the equivalent of a 10 gallon, so too small for three females. The wheel also needs replaced with something larger.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by chiroptera Fri 11 May 2018, 3:59 pm

Like others have said, the wheel should be bigger and the cage looks to be a little bit too small. I'd also worry that the bar spacing is too big, so until you can replace the cage, keep an eye out to make sure that none of them are trying to squeeze out through the bars!

A 10-gal or 20-gal aquarium is the favorite of a lot of mouse owners here, which can be found for a reasonable price, though I personally like hand-made bin cages. They're easily customizable, cheap (especially if you have some of the tools/materials already), and provide more ventilation that an aquarium does. There is a bin cage tutorial here: https://hammyhappenings.wordpress.com/diy-hamster-cage-bin-cage/ (and a tutorial for a nice sliding door option that I typed up here: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t2977-diy-sliding-screen-doors) and I'd be happy to help out if you had any questions! Smile

I wish you and your gf the best of luck with your new mouse friends, I think they're great first pets to own and I bet you'll love them!

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Fri 11 May 2018, 7:06 pm

And be sure to keep the current mousehouse when you buy the new and bigger one. This one will come in handy when you need a place to put the little girls while you clean their regular house, or if a behavior/health problem necessitates a time-out/hospital cage.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Jadamouse Fri 11 May 2018, 7:28 pm

i agree with what everybody else has said, i think a bigger cage and wheel would be best Smile

Remembering: ~Milly~ ~Jazz~ ~Jem~ ~Oreo~

Smile Angel Smile
Jadamouse
Jadamouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cancer Fine

Back to top Go down

Post by SupremeSlyce Fri 11 May 2018, 10:52 pm

THANKS, EVERYBODY! This was very helpful. To answer some questions, the box the mousehouse came in said it was 40.5 x 30 x 37 cm (16 x 11.8 x 14.6 inch). I will be sure to look into a bigger cage & wheel. All I want is the best for them. They keep me occupied & a lot of company.

SupremeSlyce

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sun 20 May 2018, 11:02 am

Hello and welcome Very Happy
How is your trio doing?
Would love to see more photos of them.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Sun 20 May 2018, 12:18 pm

Welcome! Mouse Wave

Sometimes I think it would be fun to have a barred cage. More easy to hang platforms and things. I wonder if it would be possible to attach two of the cages together by removing one end on each. Like I’ve seen some YouTubers do with side-by-side critter nation cages. Hmm. Probably not worth the cost of a second cage though. And tanks are more secure for the little Houdinis. Thinking

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down