Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How's my progress?

2 posters

Go down

How's my progress? Empty How's my progress?

Post by Nick Tue 15 May 2018, 11:01 am

It's been about 3 weeks to a month since I got my mouse Henry. It's my first time with a mouse and I'm not sure about my progress on taming him. I've spent time trying to get him on my hand, and the moment I bring him out of the cage it just seems like he wants to find a way to escape, or jump off my hand immediately. I can't tell if this is curiosity or fear, and when he's with me he poops absolutely nonstop until his stool is wet and mushy.

When I put him back down, he squeaks a lot, drinks a lot of water and runs back into his little house really quickly.

There are treats that I give him that he makes a beeline for in his cage, but when he's on my hand he refuses to eat any, and acts as if I'm not even waving them in front of him.

I made a play area, with lots of tissue rolls and small cardboard boxes but all he does is hide inside one of the boxes and never comes out.

Also, he has this habit of running away from me around the cage and coming back to me and sniffing my fingers and trying to climb my hand. Is he playing with me?

That's how my progress has been so far, just wanna know how I might be doing?

Back to top Go down

How's my progress? Empty Re: How's my progress?

Post by CallaLily Tue 15 May 2018, 6:10 pm

It sounds like he’s a little bit stressed to me because of the hiding and runny poos at play time. Does he climb up onto your hand willingly to come out for play time? How often and how long are you taking him out?

It’s very normal for mice that aren’t totally comfortable with you yet to ignore treats during play time. And some never bother with them there no matter how trusting. Instead you can hide treats around the tank for him to find after play time. He’ll still make the connection.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum