Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nursing Mice

3 posters

Go down

Nursing Mice Empty Nursing Mice

Post by atralen Tue 22 May 2018, 9:50 pm

So my pet mouse just gave birth on May 9th, and it's been approximately 2 weeks now. I haven't cleaned her cage ever since she started burrowing as a sign of pregnancy, which was about 2 to 3 weeks before she gave birth. So it's been about 5 weeks since I cleaned her cage. I did some research and most websites said it was safe to clean out her cage and move the mice as long as I'm wearing gloves so I don't get my scent on the young mice. So I prepared the new cage with new bedding, clean water, and new food. Then I moved the young mice one by one until they were all in their new cage, and then I finished by moving the mother in with them. I'm getting a little worried because the young mice are all spread pretty far apart and huddled in little groups in corners. Mom has started burrowing again but she isn't bringing them into the burrow with her. A few hours have passed and still nothing. All the young mice were well fed and healthy prior to this. Any ideas?

atralen

Back to top Go down

Nursing Mice Empty Re: Nursing Mice

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 22 May 2018, 10:30 pm

I don't have any experience with this, but I would try moving the babies into the burrow with the mother and maybe she will let them nurse. Hopefully someone with more experience in this will stop in soon.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 23 May 2018, 9:46 am

I don’t have experience in this but the only thing I think you may have missed is moving the nest over?

From the forum’s breeding packet:
Cleaning the Nursery
Ideally, the nursery tank should be set up around a week prior to mom giving birth and have the last cleaning 2 days before mom gives birth. After the babies are born you should not bother anything for 3 days, other than to feed and water. In that time, should there be wet/soiled bedding that needs to be removed, quickly and quietly do so but only when necessary. On day 3 you should begin spot cleaning every day. It is easiest and best to do this while mom (and nanny) is in the holding area during the time you handle the babies. You should fully clean the tank (but NOT the nest) when the babies are 1 week old. The nest can be spot cleaned if it really needs it, but otherwise, leave the nest completely alone until the babies are at least 2.5 to 3 weeks old. Some will even wait until the babies are 4 weeks old and weaned. A mother will generally keep her nest very clean, spot cleaning it herself. If at any time the nest is soiled to the point that it becomes a health risk, it obviously needs to be cleaned as the risk of not cleaning it is higher than cleaning it. Use your better judgment here. Try to leave as much of the old bedding in there as you can, while still removing anything soiled. While cleaning the nest, if needed, move the babies to a safe spot that also keeps them warm (but not hot!). Do not place the babies where the mother (or nanny) can see them. Temporarily placing them in a Kritter Keeper with fleece and shredded Kleenex will work.

EDIT: There’s also a section there on handling the babies. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum