Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cat I'm Sewing

+3
CinnamonPearl
Peachy
Artistwolf
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cat I'm Sewing Empty Cat I'm Sewing

Post by Artistwolf Tue 14 Jun 2016, 10:15 pm

I started sewing a tortoiseshell British shorthair cat, because I like to sew a cat to take with me on every vacation Wink This year we're going to England, so I thought a British shorthair would be fitting. I got the perfect tortoiseshell-patterned fake fur (well, for all I know, it might be real, but I don't think so) at a garage sale for like 50¢. It's really thick and tough though, so I'm hand sewing it and now my thumb and pointer finger hurt from pulling the needle out of the fabric for, ah... 6 hours? Yeah, that's about right XD But I got the majority of it finished... I just have to see on the pads of two of the paws, sew the paws to the body, sew the tail together, sew on the tail, add eyes (I just ordered a bunch off of a website in all different colors—yay!), stuff, and possibly add wires to make it poseable (what do you think? Should I do that? The fabric is already pretty stiff but I do like the poseable idea. I kind of feel bad about using all my dad's wire, but he said it's pretty cheap anyway so I shouldn't worry about it). Oh and then of course sew up the tummy Cat17
 You should have seen the amount of little tiny pieces of fake fur that appeared all over the carpet when I cut out the pieces. It looked like a sheddy cat had just rolled all over the carpet and my dress! Lol
I'll post some photos when I'm finished. Tbh I'm a little worried about whether I'll be able to turn it all right side out after I finish sewing. The fabric is almost leathery on the back and the fur is super thick, so I'm hoping everything will go fine. We'll see, I guess. Cat13

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Cat I'm Sewing Empty Re: Cat I'm Sewing

Post by Peachy Tue 14 Jun 2016, 11:20 pm

Sounds neat! I think poseable would be cool. Can't wait to see it! (I had no idea that first cat smiley blinked. lol)
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 14 Jun 2016, 11:55 pm

Sounds exciting! I'd like to make an amigurumi cat at some point, but the patterns are just too complicated for a beginner such as I. I'm sticking to mice and balls for now. Show us pictures when you finish!

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 15 Jun 2016, 7:29 am

Can't wait to see it. I think poseable sounds really neat.

Sometimes I want to get back into sewing again. I was into it when my youngest was very small, mostly because I was making cloth diapers for him. Once he got out of diapers, sewing sort of fell aside. But that tends to happen with me with those sorts of hobbies. Embarrassed

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Wed 15 Jun 2016, 3:21 pm

Thanks guys! The eyes will probably only arrive on Friday (I ordered them last night and they said 2-5 days shipping), so that's when you'll finally see the finished product Smile I'm going to probably try out a few things with the eyes to make them more realistic, but it might not even work. We'll see.
By the way, I'm using this pattern, with a few minor adjustments (bigger head, etc) to make it look more like a British shorthair: http://dollmaker.nunodoll.com/cat/bicolorcat.html
It's a really good free cat pattern, and if you want an easier cat, she has patterns for those too (simple cat & towel cat are super easy).

Abeona: Yeah, okay, I'll do that then Wink Lol right? It's so random!
CinnamonPearl: Thanks! Aw, well, keep trying! You'll get there eventually!

CallaLily: Thanks Smile Dont worry, I'm the same way about a lot of things... Like, I used to knit all the time and now I just can't be bothered anymore—and this disinterest came just when my parents gave me a book on how to knit cats! I'm terrible Embarassed

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Wed 15 Jun 2016, 6:22 pm

I can't wait to see the finished product and I can imagine all that fur was fun to clean up Tease
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member

Aries Energetic

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Wed 15 Jun 2016, 7:25 pm

Yeah... That was kind of crazy! I was wearing an orange dress and my lap was like totally covered in fake fur strands! Luckily I went outside and shook off and it worked surprisingly well. The carpet, on the other hand? Yeah, that needs a good vacuum Laughing
Thanks!

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 15 Jun 2016, 7:27 pm

Oh, the cat in the pattern looks great! I'm even more excited to see it with fur now. Razz
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Thu 16 Jun 2016, 8:02 pm

Yeah, I love the pattern! Except mine never actually turn out looking that good Laughing I should post some photos of the previous cars I've made—they're not as cool though, because they're all just made of fleece.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 17 Jun 2016, 9:59 am

I'd love to see your other cats. I started crocheting one once, but I never finished it... I got the head done. Now when I sort through my stuff I always find a random cat head. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Fri 17 Jun 2016, 8:21 pm

Lol I have like 3 cat heads in my sketchbook XD And I have a cat body and head that I knitted.. Just haven't bothered making the ears, back legs, and tails Cat I'm Sewing Cid:9595BB7E-2D7B-4562-B5C1-0979EB011263@mobilenotes.apple
Okay, previous cats:
Phoenix & Chanita (pronounced chuh-neet-uh)
Cat I'm Sewing 2njwmj7
Phoenix:
Cat I'm Sewing 2gsfk87
Chanita:
Cat I'm Sewing 2mq9qpv

They're both named after trips we've been on—I made Phoenix just before we went to Arizona last year, and I made Chanita just before we went on a cruise to Belize, where our favorite room cleaning lady (I'm sorry, that's not supposed to sound rude, I just can't think what they're called) was named Chanita. She was from that area and she was super nice! So I had to name my kitty after her. Chanita (the cat lol) is actually made of slightly furry felt. Neither of the cats cave full wires, although Phoenix has wires in his legs because he kinda began falling over XD The harness is an old puppy harness, and the collars I bought for them Wink I have another cat named River (I think, I always forget her name), who I took with me when we went camping next to the Meramec River. She's made of grey fleece. I don't have a photo of her right now though.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 17 Jun 2016, 10:33 pm

Those are awesome! I love their themed names. Chanita is wearing the same collar that my sweet Sunflower wore.

Hurry hurry with the latest, can't wait to see! Razz
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 18 Jun 2016, 8:53 am

Wow, can't believe you made those. How clever! I can't even sew Laughing

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Sat 18 Jun 2016, 9:05 pm

Aw, thanks Smile Aw, that's nice... I think I got her collar at Wal-Mart when we were driving down to New Orleans to board the ship Smile
Heh, I've made a couple doll outfits with a sewing machine, but I've yet to try a cat with a machine. With a ton of patience, almost anyone can hand-sew!

Yeah, I'm kinda being lazy right now and just don't feel like seeing the tail XD

Last edited by Artistwolf on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 9:06 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : cat. Not car.)

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

Back to top Go down

Post by goldfishfanforever Sun 19 Jun 2016, 7:55 pm

I love the previous cats you made! You are very talented Smile
goldfishfanforever
goldfishfanforever
Sr Member
Sr Member