Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 questions?

3 posters

Go down

2 questions? Empty 2 questions?

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Tue 29 May 2018, 1:16 pm

Hi everyone!

I just have a couple of questions about winter and bedding...
I recently purchased a bag of Peckish paper pet bedding which is safe for mice. But it is in pellet form and is pretty hard, should I get a softer one?
And my other question... it is starting to get quite cold here (below zero) and I am wondering how do I keep the mice warm? Especially my male since he doesn't have another mouse to snuggle up to.

Thanks!
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down

2 questions? Empty Re: 2 questions?

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 29 May 2018, 9:04 pm

Hello Very Happy

Personally I prefer a softer paper bedding. But since you have the pellets already, you could add torn up paper towels or toilet paper (unscented). That way they will use that to make a nest.

You could also use a layer of the pellets on the bottom and add soft paper bedding on top. Or use the pellets and put a pile of the soft paper bedding in a corner.

I use Carefresh bedding and also tear up a few paper towels and scatter them on top. My mouse, who has recently passed, and my two hamsters always take the torn up paper towels into their hides and use that for their nest.

As far as cold weather, the paper towels and or toilet paper will help them to build nice warm nests Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 30 May 2018, 7:46 am

How cold is it getting in the room your mice are in? Mice do best at 65°F - 80°F (18°C to 26°C). If it gets much colder than that, you may want to consider adding a heat source. A reptile heat mat on a thermostat would work well if you can’t adjust the room temp.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Fri 01 Jun 2018, 5:39 pm

Thanks Smile
It is pretty cold in there, maybe around 5 degrees? I haven't had them in there as it is so cold. If I wrapped a hot water bottle in a cloth and secured it each night would that be okay? I am worried about the chewing it. The room is a separate building next to the house so it doesn't have a heater. Thanks again
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinchillasxoxo Fri 01 Jun 2018, 5:40 pm

I can try the reptile heater, I am not sure if their is power source in reach in the room.
Chinchillasxoxo
Chinchillasxoxo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down