Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do mice show grief when another mouse passes?

3 posters

Go down

Do mice show grief when another mouse passes? Empty Do mice show grief when another mouse passes?

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Tue 29 May 2018, 5:49 pm

So, I noticed about two weeks after Cotton and Petal were put down, their remaining cagemates, Olive and Willow, started over-grooming each other. Then Olive just didn't seem her normal self either, they weren't very active just generally seemed depressed. However, I introduced them to my younger girls the other day (Sage and Starling), and now they are super active again, running on the wheel all day and sparking around. I'm wondering if they were depressed for a while? They just seemed not as happy as they were before, but now they are as happy as can be again. I'm just curious and wondering if that's possible, or if I'm making this all up. I know rats have been known to grieve, not because they have the ability to recognize a death, but because they realize that their companion is missing.

Do mice show grief when another mouse passes? Boyssi17Angel Remembering: Violet, Snow, Holly, Lilac, Clover, Petal, Cotton, Sugar, Autumn, Sage, Rocky, Jack, Willow, Blossom, Sierra, Amber, Olive, Scout, and Daisy
AnonymousMouseOwner
AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Do mice show grief when another mouse passes? Empty Re: Do mice show grief when another mouse passes?

Post by Rodents rock! Tue 29 May 2018, 8:45 pm

Yes, definitely, mice do grieve when losing a loved one and can become depressed. You are not making it up at all. Glad the mice are happy again!!!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Do mice show grief when another mouse passes? Empty Re: Do mice show grief when another mouse passes?

Post by Hope4Allwhobreathe Wed 30 May 2018, 10:29 pm

When my mouse lost her cage mate/sister, she wouldn't stop running on her wheel until I found her some new cage mates. It's so hard to see them go through that and not being able to help more.

I hope all your furry babies are doing well now <3

Hope4Allwhobreathe
Hope4Allwhobreathe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum