Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tips on Taming

3 posters

Go down

Tips on Taming Empty Tips on Taming

Post by Hope4Allwhobreathe Thu 31 May 2018, 11:38 am

Hi guys!
So I have three lady mice, and they are all quite skittish. Skunk is the oldest in the house, but is still skittish. I try to move slowly and be patient with them, but I worry that I'm doing something wrong. Skunk has been with me 2 weeks, and the other two have been with me since Monday- so not that long, but I want to ensure I'm doing what's best for them. I sexed them all when they got home (aka looked at their butts) which entailed me having to lift their back ends. They didn't particularly like that, but I had to do it to ensure no one was actually a boy- no more baby episodes for me, thanks Razz

Could that have made them...like hate me? I've tried treats and soft talking, just sitting by the bin cage. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want them to be tame, but it feels like they're in their own world and I'm just butting in. Would adding more space or more toys make them feel more comfortable?

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Thanks!

Hope4Allwhobreathe
Hope4Allwhobreathe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Tips on Taming Empty Re: Tips on Taming

Post by chiroptera Thu 31 May 2018, 4:30 pm

Grabbing them by their tails once may have spooked them, but I doubt that they'll hate you for it. My girls are still pretty skittish when they're in the bin, but once I coax them out they're all over me. Razz So they may just be a more skittish crew. I wouldn't worry about sexing them, I doubt they'll hold that grudge as long as you're not grabbing them like that every time you get them out.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope4Allwhobreathe Thu 31 May 2018, 9:27 pm

chiroptera wrote:Grabbing them by their tails once may have spooked them, but I doubt that they'll hate you for it. My girls are still pretty skittish when they're in the bin, but once I coax them out they're all over me. Razz So they may just be a more skittish crew. I wouldn't worry about sexing them, I doubt they'll hold that grudge as long as you're not grabbing them like that every time you get them out.

I try to not touch their tails, but I once again had to rub vanilla on their butts, but I managed to wipe it on without lifting! I sure hope they get along with each other and me as time goes on.

Hope4Allwhobreathe
Hope4Allwhobreathe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Thu 31 May 2018, 11:39 pm

I would say let them all settle in a bit. Once they feel more comfortable in their new home maybe they will be more interested in their new Mom Very Happy  Maybe give them a few more days and just talk to them anytime you pass their bin so they get used to your voice. Then you can start laying your hand in the bin so they can explore you. Then when they get used to your hand being in the bin, you could put some treats on your hand to entice them to sit on your hand. Once they get used to that, then when they are in your hand, you can start lifting your hand up an inch or so. Keep raising your hand up a little higher each time till you feel comfortable lifting them out for some play time Very Happy  A lot of times mice will act different outside of their bin. They may be skiddish in their bin, then once you get them out they will have fun crawling on you, like Chiroptera mentioned. They will come around, don't worry. You could also have them crawl into a tube or cup and lift them out that way till they feel more comfortable with being picked up.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum