Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pregnant Female Mouse??

3 posters

Go down

Pregnant Female Mouse?? Empty Pregnant Female Mouse??

Post by srslysyrup Fri 01 Jun 2018, 8:32 am

I got 4 mice from the pet store, and they said they should all be males but I was prepared for there to be a female. Of course one of the mice ended up pregnant, so I made her her own cage and sepereated her from the males. Now I’m not sure what to do, i don’t know how far along she is and I understand female mice aren’t supposed to be housed alone so should I introduce another female mouse now or wait until she’s had the babies and they’re old enough to be given to the pet store where I got the original mice from? This is my first time owning mice so any help would be very much appreciated!!

srslysyrup

Back to top Go down

Pregnant Female Mouse?? Empty Re: Pregnant Female Mouse??

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 01 Jun 2018, 8:54 am

If you are housing your males together that is a recipe for disaster. Male mice are very territorial and will fight to horrible injuries and can fight to the death. Even if they are from the same litter, once they reach maturity their instincts kick in. It's just not worth the risk. In the wild, once male babies reach a certain age, they are chased away by the father to start their own lives.

Males do love their humans though  Very Happy  

In reference to your question about the pregnant female, I would not add another female till after she gives birth and raises her babies. After that, adding two females would be ideal for her.

Hope I was helpful Very Happy

Would love to see photos of your mice!
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Fri 01 Jun 2018, 9:26 am

To learn more about why male mice should not be housed together go to the Mouse Discussions section of threads. Go to the Mouse Behavior thread. In the top section, Announcements & Sticky, click on Males Living Together **WARNING Graphic Photos**
This has a lot of great information. A lot of pet stores will tell people you can house males together, but it's just not true. A lot of pet stores have people working there who aren't trained properly in the care needs of all the different animals they sell. So it's always best to do your own research then to rely on them for accurate information.
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Fri 01 Jun 2018, 10:31 am

I second everything Rodents Rock! has said. It's strongly recommended that males each have their enclosure to ensure no one gets hurt.

As for your pregnant lady, leave her by herself until her babies are weaned. If she has any daughters, they can stay with her and then you don't have to worry about doing quarantine and introductions.

I would also double check your other "males" to make sure there are no more females. If you need help with sexing, feel free to post pictures! I'll link a few threads:

Pet Mouse Info - Tons of links to threads with information regarding things like behavior, health, diet, and reproductive care.
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t1230-pet-mouse-care-threads

And from within that page:
Breeding Packet - Contains information about breeding and babies: from mating to weaning. Also includes ethics, caring for orphans, housing for mothers, nannies, and day by day pictures of babies.
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t43-breeding-packet

Sexing Mice - Pictures and tips to properly sex your mice, from babies to adults.
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t45-sexing-mice

Males Living Together *WARNING Graphic Photos!* - Male mice should NEVER be housed together after weaning, and this thread contains graphic proof of the reason why.
https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t142-males-living-together-warning-graphic-photos
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down