Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help Save Otter

3 posters

Go down

Help Save Otter  Empty Help Save Otter

Post by Hope4Allwhobreathe Thu 21 Jun 2018, 12:20 am

So it looks like Otter has taken a turn for the worst, and is no longer eating or drinking anything other than treats...

I am rushing her to the emergency vet in the morning to see if I can save her, but I need her to make it until morning. Nothing was this drastic yesterday, and now she is sitting like a lump and looking like she's having an issue breathing (but no sneezing)- like breathing really quickly. She makes the little exploring noises, but I have no idea if these are normal or not.

For now she is quarantined, and the other two mice seem to show no symptoms. If ANYONE has any advice as to how to keep her alive until 8 AM, please let me know ASAP.

Love,
A scared mouse mom

Hope4Allwhobreathe
Hope4Allwhobreathe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Help Save Otter  Empty Re: Help Save Otter

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Thu 21 Jun 2018, 7:22 am

Sorry I couldn't respond sooner -- no Web service at my residence. And even if it was part of the package, the cable service has been out since last Friday, and they are in no hurry to fix it.

I have no miracle solution for you, but there are a few things that might help:

First, if Otter will still eat treats but will not drink, try feeding her moist treats. At this point, "healthy" is not the point -- just getting her through the night is. Porridge is a good option, or a piece of juicy vegetable or fruit, or a little dab of yogurt, or even a bit of cereal or cookie or cracker that's been soaked a little in water.

Second, when my little April became injured a year ago and was slowly bleeding into her abdomen, her nights were very rough -- then in the morning she was ready for her Cheerio. She still did not feel good, and we didn't know at first what the problem was, but she got back to somewhat normal once the sun came up. (Those nights were terrible, though.)

Third, just playing with some biochemistry ideas here, Otter's small size and the onset of rapid breathing are both possible indicators of metabolic problems. Whatever is troubling the little one could be just the natural progression of a condition she was born with and that can't be helped. If that is the case, you don't have to accept it, but you do have to understand it to be an unavoidable (and very sad) fact.

Fourth, you must not be upset and panicky around Otter. Remember how receptive animals are to our unspoken signals. She needs you to be calm and reassuring. I used to hold sick little April in my hands and give her soft kisses on her back and sides, repeating "kiss it and make it better". I wasn't promising her anything except that I was trying.

We hope you and Otter will have good news at the hospital.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope4Allwhobreathe Thu 21 Jun 2018, 9:55 am

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop wrote:Sorry I couldn't respond sooner -- no Web service at my residence.  And even if it was part of the package, the cable service has been out since last Friday, and they are in no hurry to fix it.

I have no miracle solution for you, but there are a few things that might help:

First, if Otter will still eat treats but will not drink, try feeding her moist treats.  At this point, "healthy" is not the point -- just getting her through the night is.  Porridge is a good option, or a piece of juicy vegetable or fruit, or a little dab of yogurt, or even a bit of cereal or cookie or cracker that's been soaked a little in water.

Second, when my little April became injured a year ago and was slowly bleeding into her abdomen, her nights were very rough -- then in the morning she was ready for her Cheerio.  She still did not feel good, and we didn't know at first what the problem was, but she got back to somewhat normal once the sun came up.  (Those nights were terrible, though.)

Third, just playing with some biochemistry ideas here, Otter's small size and the onset of rapid breathing are both possible indicators of metabolic problems.  Whatever is troubling the little one could be just the natural progression of a condition she was born with and that can't be helped.  If that is the case, you don't have to accept it, but you do have to understand it to be an unavoidable (and very sad) fact.

Fourth, you must not be upset and panicky around Otter.  Remember how receptive animals are to our unspoken signals.  She needs you to be calm and reassuring.  I used to hold sick little April in my hands and give her soft kisses on her back and sides, repeating "kiss it and make it better".  I wasn't promising her anything except that I was trying.

We hope you and Otter will have good news at the hospital.

We took her to the vet this morning- and she is apparently much healthier than we thought. She weighs 27 grams, and all vital signs were normal. No congestion, no low/high temp, clear lung and gut sounds. But from watching her breathe and noticing a spot of over grooming, it looks like she might have a small cold and is a bit stressed. So now she has antibiotics (just in case) and anti-inflammatory for pain management. The vet is very confident that this will help her heal. She was also deemed "non-contagious" and I was advised to put her back in the main enclosure with her sisters to manage her stress levels.

Here are some pictures of the vet trip, and how perky she got after her meds kicked in Smile
Help Save Otter  20180615

Help Save Otter  20180614

My happy little girl <3
Help Save Otter  20180613

If anyone has any other advice to keep her comfortable, I would really appreciate it.
Thank you <3

Hope4Allwhobreathe
Hope4Allwhobreathe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodents rock! Sat 23 Jun 2018, 11:05 am

I'm so happy to hear Otter is on the mend!!! She is so cute! Good you got her to the vet quickly Very Happy
Rodents rock!
Rodents rock!

Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hope4Allwhobreathe Sat 23 Jun 2018, 11:32 am

Update on Otter:
She is doing VERY well Smile ; the antibiotics and pain medication have put her back to her spunky self. She's still slower and more relaxed than the other two mice, but she's back to climbing and eating and cuddling with her sisters. Her breath rate has dropped significantly, back into a normal/healthy range (she's no longer in respiratory distress).

Her sisters are doing a great job of keeping her warm and cozy as she recovers, and I couldn't be happier with the vet we went to. They were all so kind to her and just wanted to make her feel better. It was determined that she had a LOWER respiratory infection, which is harder to transmit to the other mice. We caught it in time that the others should be just fine.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and thoughts <3

Hope4Allwhobreathe
Hope4Allwhobreathe
Jr Member
Jr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down