Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need advice

3 posters

Go down

I need advice Empty I need advice

Post by Soitgoes1122 Fri 06 Jul 2018, 4:55 pm

My daughter adopted what we thought were 2 female mice from the pet store. About 4 weeks ago, we were surprised to find 9 babies. Once we figured out which one was a male and got him out, (within hours), they had already bred again. Now we have another litter of 8 babies. The pet store will take them, but I’m feeling like it would be really traumatic for the mice to go through especially thinking that they will be snake food. I don’t know yet how many males we have, but know that I need to separate them. I am having a Vet help me figure out the 4 week old sexes tomorrow. Does anyone know what I can do with them all? I am fine keeping the females, but my experience with male mice as pets hasn’t been the best. If I were to get the males neutered, would that help their smell when they get older? What is the earliest age they could be neutered? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Soitgoes1122

Back to top Go down

I need advice Empty Re: I need advice

Post by Artistwolf Sun 08 Jul 2018, 8:59 am

Oh no! That’s not fun at all. Well, you do get to see baby mice, but still, not what you wanted! Seventeen baby mice.. yikes.
Perhaps you can sell them? Put a good adoption price on them so that people who want to feed them to their snakes won’t buy them. It is a hard one.
I’m not really sure about the neutering question; hopefully someone else will come answer that.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 09 Jul 2018, 12:16 pm

Neutering may or may not decrease male odor. It also isn’t a guarantee that males will be able to live together with other neutered males. It’s much more likely, and a more natural arrangement, to put a neutered buck with a group of does - though like with any introductions there’s no guarantee they’ll all get along. ***This is just my understanding from everything I’ve read. I don’t have actual experience with neutered bucks.***

There’s more info on neutering in this thread: https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t25-health-packet#32. Be sure to consult an exotic veterinarian very experienced in working with mice.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum