Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos!

3 posters

Go down

Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos! Empty Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos!

Post by Mahjling Wed 18 Jul 2018, 8:37 pm

Today I did a full clean of the vending machine, and snapped a few pictures of my process!

Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos! Tumblr_pc351fQp0x1x3jl7oo2_1280
Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos! Tumblr_pc351fQp0x1x3jl7oo1_1280

First I put the coconut coir and moss in to expand and soak. I'm giving them extra coconut coir both for fun, and to give them deeper tunnels to escape the heat. This coconut coir brick was 11lbs when dry. The moss both helps retain some moisture, and gives the coconut coir heft and stability when building tunnels.

Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos! Tumblr_pc36brBduj1x3jl7oo1_1280
Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos! Tumblr_pc36brBduj1x3jl7oo2_1280
Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos! Tumblr_pc36brBduj1x3jl7oo3_1280

Once the moss and coir have expanded, I take the girls out and put them somewhere safe, if I'm doing a small clean, I put them in a playpen box and have my S/O watch them, this time my partner was helping me though, so they got to sit in a very very deep pot with some newspaper and treats to watch us work.
All toys and other enrichment items are removed. Normally I would soak them in the bathtub with water and vinegar, but because I was doing a full scrub of the tank, I left them uncleaned to retain the girls' scent.

The old coir was removed with a large dustpan, you can also use large cups or anything else that works. The litterboxes were taken off to be scrubbed clean with water, baking soda, and vinegar, rinsed again, and left to dry in the summer sun. The tank was scrubbed with a mixture of water and vinegar. Then dried with paper towels. The new coconut coir and the moss was added in layers, coir, moss, coir, moss, etc. Until it was all in, then for good measure, it was stirred up again. And finally, the enrichment items returned!

Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos! Tumblr_pc395sYkHD1x3jl7oo1_1280
Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos! Tumblr_pc395sYkHD1x3jl7oo2_1280

Want to see some videos of them enjoying their clean home? Find two by clicking Here and Here!

If you read through this whole post, thank you for taking the time to do so, I hope you've all been well!

Mahjling

Scorpio Dreaming

https://Belovedmice.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos! Empty Re: Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos!

Post by JuniperBerry55 Thu 19 Jul 2018, 1:40 am

I love your tank! That bedding looks like it would be super fun for them to all dig around in. I might try to find some though I don't think I've ever seen it in any pet stores where I live Smile

JuniperBerry55

Taurus Caffeine Fix

Back to top Go down

Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos! Empty Re: Cleaning, Re-arranging, and some cute videos!

Post by Mahjling Thu 19 Jul 2018, 2:56 am

They love it!
I use what's called 'Coconut Coir' and if you can't find it in a pet store, you can get it on amazon! The most common and best brand is called 'Eco Earth' it comes in dry bricks, making it easy to store, and you rehydrate it to use it. It's cheap, lasts longer than other bedding, and offers great digging opportunities!

I also use an expandable/re-hydratable brick of moss, you can also just buy bags of sphagnum moss in most pet stores. Look in the reptile section for both coconut coir and for aquarium moss! Likewise for amazon, it will be under reptile and amphibian supplies.

Coconut coir (and moss) are not only a cheap, eco-friendly, and safe alternative to most beddings suggested for mice, but they keep smell down better, and help give your mice a way to dig down deep and escape the summer heat, or in winter, to create warm cozy burrow!

If you decide to give it a shot, and want help finding these supplies on amazon, let me know and I'll give you some links! Very Happy

Mahjling

Scorpio Dreaming

https://Belovedmice.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Colors Sun 22 Jul 2018, 3:24 pm

Oh wow I never knew you could use this!
Colors
Colors

Cancer Starving

https://weepingwillowf2016.wixsite.com/justgerbils

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down