Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I be worried?

4 posters

Go down

Should I be worried? Empty Should I be worried?

Post by Nm1300 Thu 09 Aug 2018, 3:47 pm

I think this is self barbering but I'm not totally sure, does anyone know is what this is and how to help? Thanks! SmileShould I be worried? 20180812Should I be worried? 20180813
Nm1300
Nm1300

Back to top Go down

Should I be worried? Empty Re: Should I be worried?

Post by AmyLynn Thu 09 Aug 2018, 5:20 pm

Hello there! Mouse Wave

I have been super luck not to have this kind of problem with my mice. However there is a section about this in the following forum:

https://www.petmousefanciers.com/t17-itching-hair-loss-and-parasites

Hopeful this will be helpful while waiting for someone with a little more experience to get back to you as well.

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Thu 09 Aug 2018, 7:24 pm

First of all, don't worry.  You will almost always be able to handle things better if you stay calm and determine yourself to take care of business, whatever happens.

That little mousie bum-bum looks wet or sticky.  Whether it is or not, though, I think you should take little mousie to its doctor -- tomorrow if possible.  That part of the anatomy is exposed to a lot of waste material (especially if it is leaking out), and without the usual fur cover there is significant risk of skin irritation/breakdown and infection.

Meanwhile, wash your hands well before and after handling your little friend.  See if you can get a swab of any fluid that might be leaking out, and seal it in a plastic bag -- in case the vet might want a specimen and nothing is leaking during the doctor visit.  Smell for infection or other odd smell.  Clean the exposed skin gently with warm water and dab it dry.  You can switch to a hospital tank setup (no bedding -- just line the floor with paper towel), just to avoid having any contamination problems from the bedding -- you could even set up the going-to-the-doctor transport tank as a temporary, overnight hospital tank if it is comfortably big enough.  Spend quality time watching mousie for actual self-barbering activity or other reactions to the afflicted area.  Keep notes so you will be able to answer any of the vet's questions, or so you will remember to ask them yourself.

And please keep us updated.

Even if this is a "simple" case of self-barbering, the question is: WHY THERE?  There may be something else going on, internally or externally, that needs to be assessed by a medical professional.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Thu 09 Aug 2018, 9:27 pm

From what I’m reading, this area is pretty common in self barbering. http://web.stanford.edu/~jeromeg/cgi-bin/Barbering.php
Though of course a trip to the vet to rule out any underlying cause is always a good idea. If nothing is found, then probably all you can do is to try to keep her too busy and distracted to over groom herself. Good luck!

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Nm1300 Mon 13 Aug 2018, 5:38 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!!
Nm1300
Nm1300

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down