Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mice as observational pets?

2 posters

Go down

Mice as observational pets? Empty Mice as observational pets?

Post by Squidly Mon 13 Aug 2018, 5:59 am

Hi friends! I'm new here and I have a question. I am considering adopting some females from our local animal shelter.

I would love to set up a 30 gallon aquarium for a group of female mice (3-5) and preferably NOT handle them on a regular basis, other than just putting my hand in the cage to pet them or move them somewhere for cleaning. I have two reasons for this.

1. The idea of these quick little critters scurrying all over and possibly getting away from me is very stressful. Not only would I not want them to escape and get lost, but reason number 2 ...

2. We have two cats. I am perfectly confident that a secure lid on the aquarium will be safe for them, but I don't want to risk them escaping while I am handling them and then the cats somehow find them.

Since females socialize with one another, they probably don't need handling and attention from me, right? I'm happy to make their tank as interesting and playful as possible, and I'm fine with reaching in to make a little contact, but I would like to have them as pets that I do not handle or play with outside of their cage. Is this okay for them? Will they be happy without attention from me?

Thanks for your help!
Squidly
Squidly
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Mice as observational pets? Empty Re: Mice as observational pets?

Post by CallaLily Mon 13 Aug 2018, 11:24 am

You could keep them this way if that’s what you preferred, but it is generally recommended to give them additional play time/exercise in a safe place outside of their cage for at least 30 minutes a day.  A large sterilite bin or a dry bath tub decked out with toys are the most commonly used play spaces. If your cats are a concern (I have several so I understand), you could have the play area set up in a room that you can shut the cats out of during that time.  Before your mice are tame, a safe way to move them over from their cage to the play space is with a tube or box. Once they’re tame they’ll likely climb willingly in your hand and won’t take off on you. Good luck in whatever you decide. Smile

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Squidly Mon 13 Aug 2018, 3:28 pm

Ok, thank you for the info! I should be able to let them play every day. The bathtub is a great idea! Shocked
Squidly
Squidly
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down