Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tyrant

3 posters

Go down

Do you think my reason is "reason" enough?

Tyrant Vote_lcap0%Tyrant Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Tyrant Vote_lcap50%Tyrant Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]
Tyrant Vote_lcap50%Tyrant Vote_rcap 50% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 4

Poll closed

Tyrant Empty Tyrant

Post by Blessed Wed 29 Aug 2018, 6:11 pm

I am thinking about returning my new gerbil to PetSmart. This is his ninth day of being here... As soon as he was placed in his new tank, he immediately made himself right at home! But anyways, I do believe I've been bitten by him eight days in a row (not counting today, because I don't think I've handled the rodents today yet). He's such a tyrant!, hence the name.
I would like to keep him, but am seriously thinking about returning him while I have the option. I know it's not really 'condoned' to return your new pet, but I don't like being bitten repeatedly and every day by a mean rodent... I know sometimes animals bite out of fear, but you can usually read the fear... This little guy isn't afraid of me at all! He literally just has a bad nipping habit, and I've no clue how to stop it, and honestly don't think I can.
Opinions on whether I should return him, or keep him and try and 'work' with him, if possible? I mean, he has a free will and mind, and there's nothing that I could do to make him not bite me--when my hand is in the tank--if he wants to. Undecided

Edited to add: I've had one or two nippy mice before, and didn't give them much of a chance. Well, I wanted to give Ty a chance, but if he's gonna' be like this the rest of his life, and I can't have two gerbils--for the option of hopefully owning a nice one as well--then I don't even want to bother keeping him (if I could have another gerbil, then one mean one wouldn't really bother me  Laughing ). I enjoy handling my animals and my limit on how many of each pet I own is always limited, so if I can help it, I always try to get nice ones. It'd be different if I had several gerbils I could casually handle, and then a mean one as well I wouldn't mind keeping.

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Tyrant Empty Re: Tyrant

Post by AnonymousMouseOwner Wed 29 Aug 2018, 7:36 pm

Personally, this is just me and my opinion, but I would never return a pet just for behavioral issues. I have and have had several aggressive rodents, but that's never stopped me from showing them love. Scout hates me, absolutely hates me. I can never get photos or video of him because at the sight of me he runs and hides, and if I stick my bare hand in the cage, I am 100% guaranteed to be bitten and tail rattled at. However, I still enjoy spoiling him with treats, setting up his cage, etc., and I still love him. One of my hamsters, Cloud, will be in a bad mood sometimes and bite me, but that doesn't stop me from loving him either, he's the cutest little guy and I could never return him. Rocky, my fluffy little mouse, can be really sweet outside his cage, but bites me when in his cage, but he's still a sweet mouse and I love his personality! Amber, one of my girl mice, sometimes bites my fingers, but that's my fault for feeding her treats with my hands, I'm not afraid of her though and still regularly pick her up. Many small pets are just always aggressive, when you adopt a small rodent you kind of have to accept the fact that they may be the sweetest thing ever or they may never become tame and always hate you. It's your choice, but personally I would feel horrible if I had to return a pet for a behavioral issue, I love all my pets so much, even the ones I haven't had long.

AnonymousMouseOwner

Creative
1st Place -- December 2016

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIep-VOhEjeTsilL7Sk2fFQ https://www.instagram.com/anonymousmousevideos/

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Wed 29 Aug 2018, 8:27 pm

I also would never return a pet unless there was absolutely no way I could make it work. When they came home with me they came home, period.

One of my most loved mice also frequently bit me. We worked through it. It took time and plenty of effort. He wasn't scared at all he was a just a brat. I got bit multiple times per session for weeks... my fingers were sore and bleeding and bruised... but we did it. We were even closer for having made it; he was my baby. He passed a month before his 3rd birthday, and I held him for hours until he left. Curled up in my scarf, I didn't even have to look to know when he took his final breath. I felt it so deeply in my heart.

Yoshi deserved no less than my best. Tyrant deserves no less than your best. If you can't commit to working with him, if biting and not being able to handle him is an absolute deal breaker and will stop you from giving him proper care (attention and all) return him. And think so very carefully about getting more rodents from pet stores. It's unfair and stressful to them to be taken home and then sent back.

Since your gerbil is so new, you might consider giving him more time to settle in and get used to his new friends. I know you say he's not scared, but a brand new environment, a brand new cage mate of a different species, and a brand new human trying to handle him all at the same time is A LOT to deal with. I would do some research and see what you can do to help him. There are some great gerbil forums out there! Many gerbils also don't seem to he very enthusiastic about being handled. My ladies were super sweet but definitely not into being held and petted.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Blessed Wed 29 Aug 2018, 10:50 pm

Thank you for your thoughts and sharing your opinions. Smile

I'm very sorry about Yoshi, Peachy.

Maybe I should try and keep him and give him a better chance. He may never be super nice, but you're right...everything is new to him--and I knew that, but didn't look at it in that light/perspective.

The lady who sold him to us said that she was working on taming him, and that he'd occasionally get onto her hand. He gets on mine, too, sometimes. =)

Blessed
Blessed
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum