Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

URGENT Something wrong with pet mouse

2 posters

Go down

URGENT Something wrong with pet mouse  Empty URGENT Something wrong with pet mouse

Post by dawnkittenz Fri 07 Sep 2018, 6:56 pm

I've had a pet feeder mouse for about 6 months now . He's been doing fone until about a month ago I noticed a tiny scab on his ear (not sure if that's relevant) it never really healed. Anyways , I just came in to check on him and his fur is patchy and covered in scabs . His ear also looks significantly damaged and bloody. He was in the bathroom overnight but the damage was hard to notice at first so I could have overlooked it?? It could be the cat but I'm not sure . URGENT Something wrong with pet mouse  15363611
dawnkittenz
dawnkittenz

Gemini Cheerful

Back to top Go down

URGENT Something wrong with pet mouse  Empty Re: URGENT Something wrong with pet mouse

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Fri 07 Sep 2018, 7:42 pm

Animals in general have a good idea about how to take care of a wound -- they lick it, and they bite or scratch off scabs, as if they know intuitively that wounds heal better when kept moist. Unfortunately, though, they do not understand about dirt and bacteria and the danger of infection.

Also unfortunately, they can become fixated on scratching at their wounds, making them larger and deeper, and creating new wounds as well. So healing them early is important.

I think it would be wise for a veterinarian to check out your little mousie fellow without delay for any parasites, and to make sure the wounds are clean -- regardless of whether they are from bug bites, cat claws, allergies, or nervous scratching. The vet can also suggest/prescribe antibiotics and/or wound treatments and/or anti-itch preparations that are appropriate for the diagnosis.

Removing the fluffy bedding and replacing it with a few layers of paper towel to line the bottom of the tank will reduce the chances for wound contamination until you can have the vet look at the damage.

Make notes of everything you can think of concerning your observations of the wounds, what mousie has eaten, where mousie has been, the adventure in the bathroom -- just anything you can think of from the past few weeks or months that may be helpful to the vet in piecing together the puzzle of what is happening to your wee little one.

Best luck.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum