Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things You Don't Expect

+5
FosterMom
Nijimi にじみ
CallaLily
chiroptera
HeyImSomeone
9 posters

Go down

Things You Don't Expect Empty Things You Don't Expect

Post by HeyImSomeone Mon 17 Sep 2018, 10:17 pm

I am doing research (LOTS OF IT) about mice right now, and I have a question?

What are some things you didn't know until you had a mouse?

What didn't you expect?

What the ONE thing you'd tell a first time owner?

Thanks!

HeyImSomeone

Back to top Go down

Things You Don't Expect Empty Re: Things You Don't Expect

Post by chiroptera Tue 18 Sep 2018, 5:04 pm

One thing, is that you have to be okay with pees and poos. These little guys aren't particularly good at holding their bladders, and are likely to pee or poo outside of their cage, and on you. So, that's one thing to be aware of. I'm sure there's others, too, but that's the first thing to come to mind to me.

Cool mouse mom to: Pronto
Love remembering: My dearest Trouble and all her siblings who've joined her across the rainbow bridge.  Love
chiroptera
chiroptera

Sagittarius Batty

https://gruntsmom.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 19 Sep 2018, 7:25 am

In my experience, most mice aren’t crazy about being snuggled or petted. You get the occasional one that does though. But most do enjoy using you as a jungle gym. Smile

Mice are very prone to things like respiratory infections and tumors. Expect at least one vet visit in their lifetime.

Mice are messy! Young mice especially can dirty their wheels in less than a day. They mostly have decent bladder control but they poop where they are. Mice smell. I know many online will say their mice don’t smell at all but I think it’s likely they’re just nose blind to it. Girls have much less odor than boys - kind of reminds me of the smell of jasmine rice. Boys have a much stronger, muskier/skunkier smell. It does usually get a little better after they settle in and most of us get used to the smell or at least don’t mind it. Whether it’s good, bad, or tolerable I think depends on the nose. I remember my boy Daryl had a strong odor but I didn’t mind it so much. It was just him, ya know? But my husband still talks about it with disgust to this day and doesn’t want me to get a boy mouse again. Pardon

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Nijimi にじみ Wed 19 Sep 2018, 12:51 pm

Young mice (even if female) stink really badly XD. My first mice were at least 3-4 months old when I got them and they didn't smell much. My newer mice are much younger and stinkier. And mice personalities really differ too.

Back to top Go down

Post by FosterMom Fri 21 Sep 2018, 5:13 pm

Just got mice - the thing I didn't expect was how tiny they are! I see them in the pet store and of course they're small, but it didn't really hit me HOW small they are until they were in my house. The twenty gallon tank that is too small for my rats except for short times absolutely dwarfs the mice to the point I have trouble finding them in it. So tiny!

FosterMom

Back to top Go down

Post by Squidly Sat 22 Sep 2018, 1:49 am

I didn't realize until I got mine how much they love to climb! I've since gotten some bird toys and hammocks and am trying to turn my cage into a sort of jungle gym. Anything something new goes in the tank, they love to play higher rather than on the ground.
Squidly
Squidly
Jr Member
Jr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyLynn Sat 22 Sep 2018, 2:16 pm

How very social they are! Both with each-other and with their owners. They are also WAY smarter than I ever thought possible. They recognize their names and can learn from cues from you. I guess I was expecting the social behaviors and intelligence of a hamster...but my mice are more social and much smarter than that.

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Tue 25 Sep 2018, 8:11 pm

Hey there! I didn't expect my first mice to need vets as much as they have. Since I got my first trio beginning of last year I've dealt with mites 2-3 times, at least two of the trio developed tumors and had to be put down (one of which also had a vet visit because of symptoms before we realized it was cancer, ended up spending more money trying to treat her for anything and everything). Definitely have a good form of stransport, some money put away and a reliable vet, and if at all possible get your mice from a good breeder. Good luck Smile

Walk  Mice: Ramen, Gadget, Cricket, Perry, Marvel, Jeepers, Cheese Stick, Brannigan, Pigeon, Missy, Darla Tail FlipASFs: Quil, Merv, Scant, Corvus, Rocket, Beetle, Otter, Koala, Tamarack, Popple, Conifer Tail Flip Cockatiel: Holly WalkGerbils: Kala, Everest, and Mak Walk
Sam
Sam
Jr Member
Jr Member

Batty

Back to top Go down

Things You Don't Expect Empty Things I didn't expect

Post by city_miceBoston Sat 04 Jun 2022, 9:43 pm

My male mice will eat poop straight from their own booty, like sausage links.
city_miceBoston
city_miceBoston

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down