Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Food Items Liked By Your Mice

5 posters

Go down

Food Items Liked By Your Mice Empty Food Items Liked By Your Mice

Post by AmyLynn Sat 29 Sep 2018, 2:46 pm

Hello Everyone!

So, I have a very picky eater. Father mouse Pepper just doesn't like to eat a whole lot of stuff. Oats, fresh peas, organic peanut butter dog treats no sugar added (primarily oats and peanut flower), dried mango, brown crispy rice cereal, green pea noodles (raw and cooked), fresh broccoli, and toddler puffs any flavor. (he will sort of pick at a millet stick)

He is allergic to corn and has trouble digesting carrot (but liked both Undecided I could not get him to stop eating corn cob bedding and it was making him sick....silly boy!

He will not eat sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, walnuts, cashews, berries of any kind (he really throw a huge fit if you even out them in his tank!) , lab blocks...Tried 4 different kinds now, apples, Bulgar, fresh bell pepper, and I am sure I am forgetting some things.

What foods do your mice like? I would love some suggestions on other stuff to try.

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Food Items Liked By Your Mice Empty Re: Food Items Liked By Your Mice

Post by Nijimi にじみ Sat 29 Sep 2018, 9:22 pm

My mice are so picky. They like kiwi, romaine lettuce, and strawberries. They hate other berries and they hate raisins.

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyLynn Wed 03 Oct 2018, 4:35 pm

Oh....well thanks for the idea. I will have to try Kiwi. Maybe my Pepper boy will like it. Thanks!

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Wed 03 Oct 2018, 5:44 pm

What about a seed-based mix for his basic food?  Little April rejected her mouse chow (I didn't blame her), so I switched her to Brown's Tropical Carnival and got good results for quite a long time.

She didn't want the millet, and I picked out the corn and cracked the dried peas with pliers so she would eat them.  Then she got outside treats like a Cheerio in the morning, a baby cereal ball sometimes mixed with something else around noon, a special treat in her play box for afternoon play time, a little piece of freeze dried shrimp or salmon a few times a week in the early evening, and "salad" (romaine or baby greens) when we'd get home from work late at night.  Lots of other things, too, in moderation, for excitement and variety.

April was always very interested in what I was eating, and I think that was because she was an "only mouse" and with no other mouse to share mousiness with she learned her way through life by watching what I did.  Maybe you are getting some sort of similar thing happening with Pepper where, since he is separated from the other mousies, he is forgetting how to eat like a mouse.  Since he will not understand you if you explain to him the health problems he will face in the future if he persists in this picky-eater routine, you will have to pull rank on him and get him back on the right track -- even if it means you have to join him for meals, and take one of his mouse chow blocks and pretend to eat it!

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Fri 05 Oct 2018, 9:41 am

Outside of what you’ve already listed have you tried leafy greens?  Just about all of my mice loved them. I would share from the bag of “Spring Mix” salad greens I buy. Sometimes the “Herb Mix” or the half spring mix/spinach.

Have you tried offering dried feeder insects?  Mine all loved mealworms, crickets, and calciworms. Also the dried shrimp like @MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop mentioned. Or tiny amounts of fresh salmon or sardines.

Hemp seed?  Flax seed?  Barley, rye, wheat, buckwheat, quinoa, couscous, amaranth, spelt? Banana chips? Nori? Coconut?

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by AmyLynn Tue 09 Oct 2018, 5:23 pm

Thank you both for all of the great suggestion I am going to try all of them except of the fish/shell fish (I am super allergic) I have several of these things already in the house.

@MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop why did you?
"cracked the dried peas with pliers so she would eat them."

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop Tue 09 Oct 2018, 6:33 pm

The way I remember it, when we started the bag of new food the dried peas at the top were mostly whole. I wondered what April would think of them! She seemed to leave them all behind in the food bowl.

I didn't want her to miss out on whatever contribution to the overall nutritional balance the peas made, and she couldn't tell me why she didn't want to eat the peas, so I decided to (as I often say) "think like a mouse". Right away I saw that it would be very difficult to get a tooth grip on a nearly rock-hard sphere that was so big compared to her mouth size.

So I tried just splitting a pea and offering it to April by hand. She took it and made a bit of an effort to bite into it, but still that slick round surface and the overall hardness was enough of a turnoff that she just dropped it. I tried a few more times, but no go.

Just from observing, it seemed that something still smaller and with more surface texture might be in order. I always keep a pair of pliers handy with my office supplies, so I lightly crushed a pea half (so it would just break and not pulverize) and offered April one of the broken pieces. That time, finally, she took it and worked on eating it.

April never did seem to think very much of dried peas -- whole, halved, or broken -- but at least she regularly ate the broken pieces.

MerciToujoursMaPetiteBoop
Sr Member
Sr Member

Worried

Back to top Go down

Post by amylovina Wed 31 Oct 2018, 8:36 pm

Hello, everyone newbie here, first thing first I'm sorry asking this question here, but it is related to the food, so it might be some senior members might know very well.

How about if the young rat looks thin and smaller than another rat which is the same age? I mean do the rat need special food to make it grow bigger? Maybe adult rat needs different food than a younger rat, what I mean the nutrient is different for the different age of the group.

What I can think of is the dry food, due to the busy lifestyle I guess the dry food works fine for me, have you got any good suggestion? As usual, I did some research on the internet and I think this article is great about the selection of dry food, I really do not know about the brands and somebody here ever tried it might be great to share some experience. Thanks.

amylovina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum