Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to stop food sorting?

4 posters

Go down

How to stop food sorting? Empty How to stop food sorting?

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:35 am

Freya is sp picky about her food, and throws the others off to the side! (Which I must admit is quite funny to watch) I feel like if I continue to let her sort her food and only eat select pieces, she will gee unhealthy. She seems to be favoring the flaked corn, but I'm not sure.
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

How to stop food sorting? Empty Re: How to stop food sorting?

Post by CallaLily Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:41 am

What I do is, I don't refill the dish until they've eaten almost all of it. I check around the tank for hidden piles too. But I've been lucky enough so far to not have any very picky mice. They've all eaten a bit of everything.

Every week when I clean the tank out completely I pay attention to how much food I find. If there's a lot going to waste, I'm extra careful about how often I refill. If there's nothing, I up the amount a little. If there's just a little, I know I've been refilling it just enough. I hope this makes sense.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by GabbiLuvsMice Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:46 am

Thanks!
GabbiLuvsMice
GabbiLuvsMice
Sr Member
Sr Member

Gemini Wishful

Back to top Go down

Post by MesaMouse Mon 20 Jun 2016, 12:24 pm

Anya the alpha would perch on the edge of a newly-filled food dish and dig through everything, flinging out foods she didn't like. The other girls would eat from the dish and forage around in the neighboring substrate for the "discarded" food. Every day, before refilling the bowl, I would rummage through the substrate and return Anya's discards to the dish. Of course, Anya would start anew with each refill...she lived to be two years old and maintained this behavior to the end.

MesaMouse
MesaMouse

Libra Amused

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:50 am

Think yourself lucky you don't have a barred cage and a mouse who picks out the things she doesn't like and throws them through the bars Laughing I've been there.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum