Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wild Harvest Lab Block?

+2
Artistwolf
River
6 posters

Go down

Wild Harvest Lab Block? Empty Wild Harvest Lab Block?

Post by River Mon 20 Jun 2016, 7:37 pm

My mice came with a pretty terrible seed mix - I mean, horrible. It has raisins in it. For the time being, I've been carefully sorting everything bad out of it. This includes peanuts, corn, raisins, and striped sunflower seeds, and they've been doing fine with that, but I'm changing them ASAP. It's simply not good for their health, even though they absolutely love it, of course.
I've done my research, and I'm definitely gonna put them on mostly Vitakraft Vitasmart Parakeet food, or a dwarf hamster mix I've forgotten the name of; but I was wondering if using these lab blocks could also be good, in case my girls end up being picky eaters. I found it at Walmart, and the protein and fat count is better than Oxbow, but I'm not a huge fan of the ingredients. Anyone using it?
I can't find it online anywhere, but the protein was 16%, and the fat was 5%. I think the fiber was 10%, but it's slipped my mind.
First ingredient was corn, so that throws me off. Curious about it though, as I've never seen this brand before.

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Wild Harvest Lab Block? Empty Re: Wild Harvest Lab Block?

Post by Artistwolf Mon 20 Jun 2016, 8:38 pm

Crude protein is too high—it need to be between 12.5 and 14%, I believe. Also, seed mixes are more mentally stimulating to them.

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 20 Jun 2016, 9:12 pm

I can't find the ingredients online. Do you know what they are?

I agree with everything Artist said.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Mon 20 Jun 2016, 9:16 pm

The first ingredient being corn usually indicates lots of filler. Usually avoiding lab blocks is a good thing to do unless you're in the UK or something.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Mon 20 Jun 2016, 9:19 pm

Missed that it was mentioned corn was the first ingredient. Not looking good, imo.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:17 pm

In the US, lab block aren't a good option for mice. They don't offer good nutrition and the crude protein is much too high for pet shop mice. Your best bet is to stick with the vitakraft seed mix. I've never met a mouse that didn't like it. Just don't refill the bowl until it gets low. Just like people, they will eat their favorites on the first pass. Then when the "good stuff" runs out, they will eat the rest.

Many of us add in some things like mealworms, flaxseeds, walnuts/pecans, coconut flakes, cheerios, and oats.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Artistwolf Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:31 pm

scaredymouse wrote: Just like people, they will eat their favorites on the first pass. Then when the "good stuff" runs out, they will eat the rest.
Yeah, totally true. People tend to freak out that mice don't eat everything or the healthy things first... Too bad they're not more like me—I like to eat all the not-so-yummy stuff first, then eat the good stuff last!

Artistwolf
Artistwolf

Aries Busy

http://artistwolf16.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Mon 20 Jun 2016, 11:42 pm

I do that, too! I always eat my veggies first. I went out for chicken wings tonight and I ate all the carrots/celery first. I like everything from eggplant to cotton candy.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Tue 21 Jun 2016, 8:54 am

I do the same too, Artist and Scaredy. Eat the not as tasty foods first, saving the yummier stuff for last. Laughing

scaredymouse wrote:In the US, lab block aren't a good option for mice.  They don't offer good nutrition and the crude protein is much too high for pet shop mice.  

I agree with this too. All of the ones I've looked into here are full of junk and most have too much crude protein. I've not heard of this brand before though. I can't find the ingredients listed anywhere, which is weird.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:04 am

scaredymouse wrote:In the US, lab block aren't a good option for mice.  They don't offer good nutrition and the crude protein is much too high for pet shop mice.  Your best bet is to stick with the vitakraft seed mix.  I've never met a mouse that didn't like it.  Just don't refill the bowl until it gets low.  Just like people, they will eat their favorites on the first pass.  Then when the "good stuff" runs out, they will eat the rest.

Many of us add in some things like mealworms, flaxseeds, walnuts/pecans, coconut flakes, cheerios, and oats.

Ah - that makes sense. I'll get the seed mix pretty soon. One of my girls tends to toss all the 'bad stuff' into a pilenext to the bowl. Makes me have to check everywhere. Weirdo.
They love cheerios - they haven't tried any oats yet, but I bought some for the rabbits recently, and read it was good for the mice as well.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by River Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:06 am

CallaLily wrote:
scaredymouse wrote:In the US, lab block aren't a good option for mice.  They don't offer good nutrition and the crude protein is much too high for pet shop mice.  

I agree with this too. All of the ones I've looked into here are full of junk and most have too much crude protein. I've not heard of this brand before though.  I can't find the ingredients listed anywhere, which is weird.

I noticed that. I'd never seen the brand before, so I was a bit curious about it.
River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:34 am

The only blocks I've ever seen at Wal-Mart were 8-in-1 Mouse and Rat, but I'm pretty sure 8-in-1 and Wild Harvest is actually the same thing.

The person who gave me my pregnant mice fed blocks from Wal-Mart. The ingredients were like corn, wheat, fish meal, soybean meal, molasses, salt... I checked it out so I could offer it while I switched them to my usual seed mix, but they kicked the blocks out of their bowl and didn't touch it again. lol
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum