Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GoodBye Odor?

+2
scaredymouse
EverythingAnimal
6 posters

Go down

GoodBye Odor? Empty GoodBye Odor?

Post by EverythingAnimal Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:11 pm

As a few of you might know I'm considering getting my first buck soon. I have heard from here and other sources that they have much stronger smell to mark, which I don't think I'll really mind, but I've seen this product around: GoodBye Odor
Similar to another prodyct, Bi-Odor. It has decent reviews and seems to be effective at reducing smell, but is it safe for mice? One of my main concerns is that he will avoid drinking, as some mice do when they have medicated water. Do you guys think this would happen? Nonetheless If I Have any more concerns after I get a response I will probably just forget about it, I think I'll get used to the smell. After all, when other people go into my "pet room" they say it smells like a barnyard, and I can't smell a thing!

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

GoodBye Odor? Empty Re: GoodBye Odor?

Post by scaredymouse Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:50 pm

I wouldn't recommend it. I remember this coming up on the old forum and the consensus was not safe. The smell will decrease after the pet shop funk wears off, it will fade as he gets older and you will get used to it. I have my boy in the living room 5 feet away from the couch and the grandparents couldn't smell him at all. I only really smell the tank if I'm right next to it.

I think you'll adapt just like the rest of us.

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish
Best Cage -- December 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:52 pm

Definitely not. Just based on the description of the product, it sounds like poisonous garbage to me. Either it won't work, it'll poison him, or it'll deter him from drinking. Trust me, you'll get used to the smell. After years of having animals in my room, my sense of smell is pretty much nonexistent at this point. I couldn't even smell sulfurous mud that my (eccentric) marine science teacher had me sniff to show the class how much it stinks. Laughing

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by EverythingAnimal Tue 21 Jun 2016, 9:58 pm

Thanks for the replies! I really thought the same thing, that it's not worth the risk and I'd get used to the smell anyways, but another member of the household is concerned, so I was kind of pressured into finding something. I think they'll get used to it too, even if it takes a little bit longer than me. Very Happy

EverythingAnimal
Sr Member
Sr Member

Spaced

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Tue 21 Jun 2016, 10:07 pm

My husband was not super excited about eau du male mouse wafting through the house. He has a sensitive sniffer but he got used to it just fine Smile

Rainbow Angel  Penny, Honeybun, Lucy, Annie, Gilly, Furgie, Tedward Wigglesworth, Olivia, Goose, Sweet Katie, Binky, Delilah, Bitsy, Boopers, Sprout, Splotchy, Eva, Slappy, Shuggie, Fancy Pants, Jellybean, Charlie, Murray, Sally, Maya, Gunther, Lil Smokey, Magnus, Norman, Winnie, Sally, George, Harriet, Spec, Erzulie, Lucille, Agatha and Clementine.
scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by essentiallysue Wed 22 Jun 2016, 7:07 am

I don't have a male, but my females seem to pee in the corners and on the wheels, so I can change that spot daily and there is no smell in our house. After you have him a while, you may find his favorite spot to pee.

essentiallysue
Sr Member
Sr Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Wed 22 Jun 2016, 8:43 am

I've never tried this myself, but have heard that vanilla extract added to the water can reduce urine odours. Anyone tried that, or heard anything about it?

I've never had a buck, I wonder if they're really as smelly as people say they are.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by CinnamonPearl Wed 22 Jun 2016, 9:26 am

It's never a good idea to add anything to a mouse's water. Better to deal with a little smell than to be dealing with dehydrated mice.

Pisces

Back to top Go down

Post by olimarthemouse Fri 24 Jun 2016, 9:16 pm

My mouse Olimar has very strong smell. I don't mind, and my family doesn't really, but sometimes it's embarrassing. Embarassed I've tried those odor control packets; absolute garbage. Though, I don't put mine inside the lid because his cage is so small (10 gallon) and I don't want him to reach it, so I put it outside on the top of the lid, maybe that's why they don't work?

I've heard that about the vanilla extract, too.
olimarthemouse
olimarthemouse
Sr Member
Sr Member

Sweet Tooth

https://www.youtube.com/c/HannahsAnimals

Back to top Go down

Post by scaredymouse Fri 24 Jun 2016, 9:32 pm

If you're that concerned about the smell, you're better off not getting a buck. Bucks smell like bucks. Vanilla isn't going to make that go away. Those of us that have bucks, don't seem to be bothered by it for the most part.

scaredymouse
scaredymouse

Virgo Sluggish

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum