Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can't seem to bond two of my female mice

2 posters

Go down

Can't seem to bond two of my female mice  Empty Can't seem to bond two of my female mice

Post by amouse Sun 06 Jan 2019, 5:49 pm

Champagne is my new mouse, Snowball and Kiki are my original mice. Snowball is bonded with Kiki but gets along with Champagne just fine. Kiki, on the other hand, hates Champagne for some reason. Whenever I try to bond them Kiki always starts a fight and they have to be separated. I do individual bonding sessions with them and I have switched their toys around and now have started to switch their cages every day so they will know each other's scents.
I don't know what to do and what I am doing wrong. If anyone could help that'd be great! I do plan on getting a fourth mouse eventually especially if I can't bond Champagne to the other girls but I'd love if they were all in one bigger cage because I already have a few animal cages/pens in my room. I love my animals lol
Thanks again!

amouse

Back to top Go down

Can't seem to bond two of my female mice  Empty Re: Can't seem to bond two of my female mice

Post by Peachy Mon 07 Jan 2019, 8:29 am

What kind of fighting is happening when you separate? What size is the enclosure, what toys are in there, and how are you introducing them before they go into their new home?

Ideally, you should ONLY separate if blood is drawn. Some squeaking and chasing is normal, it’s how mice work out their hierarchy and decide who’s boss.
A small cage is better than a larger one at first so there’s no room for them to split off and claim their own side. Intros may go faster if your accessories are kept to the minimum: scattered food, one water bottle, one brand new hidey house, and maybe a wheel. If they seem to fight over the wheel it’s ok to leave it out for a day or two.

A couple things you can try is introducing Snowball and Champagne and leaving KiKi alone for a bit. Work on taming her up and when you reintroduce her you’ll have two advantages: 1, Kiki will have missed her friend and will want to behave and 2, Snowball and Champagne will have bonded so any bullying is less likely to be tolerated.
Um... I forgot what the second one was. Don't Know I’ll check back in a bit to see if I can remember.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Can't seem to bond two of my female mice  Empty Re: Can't seem to bond two of my female mice

Post by amouse Mon 07 Jan 2019, 11:09 pm

Kiki has bitten Champagne and drawn blood on two occasions I removed them right away after. They get into actual fights though not just chasing/squeaking and it’s always caused by Kiki and Champagne has to defend herself. Kiki will just go after Champange when she walks past.
When I put them together I leave toys/hides out because they seemed to fight more over those. The only thing I have in there is a clean paper towel to make clean up easier. I bond them in a clean litter box (never used for its actual purpose).

amouse

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Tue 08 Jan 2019, 10:25 am

My first introduction went like this! The mouse was territorial and very picky about friends, but I did end up getting her to happily live in a colony of five. I would introduce the two that get along and leave Kiki by herself for a couple weeks.

Work on taming the three of them and then reintroduce in a larger space like a tub so they can meet each other or go their separate ways on their own terms. Watch them for 15 minutes and if all is going well push on to 30. If any blood is drawn send them back home and try again the next day. Don’t put them in a cage until they’re snuggling, grooming, playing together in the neutral space. Then try a small cage with the basics.
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down