Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My pet mouse is rapidly gaining weight and acting sluggish!

2 posters

Go down

My pet mouse is rapidly gaining weight and acting sluggish!  Empty My pet mouse is rapidly gaining weight and acting sluggish!

Post by Obsoleet Fri 11 Jan 2019, 3:02 pm

She is about 1.3 years old. She regulary weighs 44-45g, but the past three weeks it has moved up to 49-50 grams (50g two days ago). Today I measured her at 53g.

I can feel her spine, she doesn't look obese, same nutrious foods as always... nothing changed.

Yesterday she was active, but today she's sluggish and hiding in corners with eyes half open.

Her sister is fine.

Her belly feels round though.

Any advice on what to do to help her or what this could be?

Obsoleet

Back to top Go down

My pet mouse is rapidly gaining weight and acting sluggish!  Empty Seek a vet!

Post by AmyLynn Sat 12 Jan 2019, 3:22 pm

Hello there!
I am very sorry to hear about your mouse. Because this could be a tumor or infection of some kind, if you can get him to a vet, I would do so quickly. Mice who get sick can go downhill very quickly. If you do not have a vet that you use near by some chain pet stores like petco have Saturday clinics. If there are none in you area you can try https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/. While waiting to talk to the vet keep you mouse warm. You can offer a piece of fleece material. Keep your mouse away from drafty areas. Insure that she has easy access to fresh water and healthy food. Mice get dehydrated quickly so insuring they have water is super important. If you have a 2nd cage you may want to separate you health mouse until your speak with you vet. Some others owners may have some other idea!
Good Luck and keep us posted!

Last edited by AmyLynn on Sat 12 Jan 2019, 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

My Current Mouse Family
         Group Hug
Does:                             Bucks:                    
Ruby                            Pepper
Princess Fluffles       Stuart
Bianca                         Chestnut
Dottie                          Tiny
                                   Mogwai
                                   Ninja

AmyLynn
AmyLynn
Sr Member
Sr Member

Scorpio Happy

Back to top Go down

My pet mouse is rapidly gaining weight and acting sluggish!  Empty Re: My pet mouse is rapidly gaining weight and acting sluggish!

Post by Obsoleet Mon 14 Jan 2019, 11:57 am

AmyLynn wrote:Hello there!
I am very sorry to hear about your mouse. Because this could be a tumor or infection of some kind, if you can get him to a vet, I would do so quickly. Mice who get sick can go downhill very quickly. If you do not have a vet that you use near by some chain pet stores like petco have Saturday clinics. If there are none in you area you can try https://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/. While waiting to talk to the vet keep you mouse warm. You can offer a piece of fleece material. Keep your mouse away from drafty areas. Insure that she has easy access to fresh water and healthy food. Mice get dehydrated quickly so insuring they have water is super important. If you have a 2nd cage you may want to separate you health mouse until your speak with you vet. Some others owners may have some other idea!
Good Luck and keep us posted!

I wasn't sure what to do, but wondered if it might be constipation. I took her out of the cage, rubbed her belly a bit, and let her explore like she typically loves to do. After a few minutes she began passing stool. I put her back in the cage, and kept an eye on her. The next morning, she was back to climbing the cage begging for treats and to be played with. Her weight was a little less (~51g), but her energy level has gone back to normal (running on treadmills, climbing toys, begging for attention, etc). Maybe it was constipation? Should I still take her to the vet for the weight gain?

Obsoleet

Back to top Go down

My pet mouse is rapidly gaining weight and acting sluggish!  Empty Re: My pet mouse is rapidly gaining weight and acting sluggish!

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum