Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's been a while...

3 posters

Go down

It's been a while... Empty It's been a while...

Post by MouseLover Fri 18 Jan 2019, 5:37 am

Hi all. I don't know if there's anyone here who would remember me, but I used to be a very frequent poster here. I kept mice for around 10 years and I absolutely love the little things.

When I was last posting I had a group of three sisters. I stopped posting because my mice all died unexpectedly and without apparent reason (the only explanation I can think of is a water bottle malfunction). It really broke my heart and I felt so much guilt about it that I didn't even want to say what happened.

Mice are so fragile. I'd lost so many little buddies through the years, many of which I still get teary eyed if I think about them all these years later. Especially Ginger and Peach. But this incident with all my mice dying at once just put me off owning mice any more.

It's been nearly 2 years I think. I got a puppy (a working type English cocker spaniel if anyone's interested), who has grown up to be the best dog I've ever met and I couldn't love her more. Then my hamster died (old age, nothing tragic). I got engaged. We've just moved into our new house (we were renting before, now we have our first mortgage).

I must be around a year and a half with no critters. At first I enjoyed not cleaning cages. I felt relieved not checking on my old hamster every morning wondering "is he still gonna be alive today?". I enjoyed not having to worry about mice with persistant respiratory issues, or growing tumours. Being rodent free was a relief to me.

But since moving into my new house I keep looking at a particular corner thinking "my old cage would fit there perfectly". I'm starting to miss having a little friend on my shoulder. The way they eat with their little hands. I miss watching them do acrobatics and how much they appreciate the fun things you put in their cage.

So I find myself tempted by mice again. I've always had girls, but having girls is a bigger commitment because you always want them to have company and you get stuck in an endless cycle of introductions, of dying mice and new mice. So I'm thinking for the first time of getting a lone buck, so that I can bond with him and have a mouse buddy without fully committing myself to an endless cycle of mice. But for now I just thought I'd come and say hi and I'll lurk around on here enjoying all your mice for a while.

TLDR: I'm an old member who's not had mice in a while, but I'm thinking about coming back to mice and the forum.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

It's been a while... Empty Re: It's been a while...

Post by Peachy Fri 18 Jan 2019, 9:02 am

Oh, gosh. I was thinking about you the other day! Wonderful to hear from you. Congrats on the engagement and the house!!! So sorry to hear of your ladies... A little boy sounds like a fantastic idea!

Also got a puppy!! He's scared of the whole world and has tossed me into a crazy world of dog training and behavior (and dog sports! have never done any sports in my life lol) but he's also very good and smart. When I come home from work he gives me like 10 high fives. Laughing
It's been a while... 4f636510
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 19 Jan 2019, 8:19 am

Thanks Peachy Smile your dog looks adorable! What kind of dog sports are you doing? I've been quite tempted to try agility with mine, but the clubs near me are always full... I might have to buy some equipment for the garden lol.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Oreoandfriends Sat 19 Jan 2019, 6:07 pm

Welcome back! For my lifestyle, females work better for me but I’ve made super close bonds with my males that’s harder to make with a female! I think you should get a mouse again Smile
Oreoandfriends
Oreoandfriends
Sr Member
Sr Member

Cheerful

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachy Sat 19 Jan 2019, 9:37 pm

We do nosework (he searches for birch). We looked into agility too, but they won't let him start agility until he's a year. We've done off-leash foundation classes and he's enjoyed running the course at the dog park. I've been having second thoughts because he's just not that agile. Laughing But I imagine backyard equipment would be loads of fun even if it wasn’t anything formal. Bliss
Peachy
Peachy

Scorpio Classy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum