Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is this product safe?

3 posters

Go down

Is this product safe? Empty Is this product safe?

Post by mousymom191 Thu 31 Jan 2019, 3:08 pm

Hi, I've purchased an edible log from pet smart for my trio, and they are loving it Smile ... but recently I heard that they aren't safe? I'm just wondering what the deal is because it's the only thing that they've really chewed on.

mousymom191
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Is this product safe? Empty Re: Is this product safe?

Post by River Fri 01 Feb 2019, 11:09 am

The first ingredient, if the item I'm thinking of is correct, is pine shavings, but since there's also honey animals are almost guaranteed to ingest a significant amount of it. I avoided them as I believed this could lead to impaction.

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by mousymom191 Fri 01 Feb 2019, 11:34 am

River wrote:The first ingredient, if the item I'm thinking of is correct, is pine shavings, but since there's also honey animals are almost guaranteed to ingest a significant amount of it. I avoided them as I believed this could lead to impaction.
Have you heard of this actually happening to mice that used this? Or are you just inferring? B/c I wanna know if I should be concerned about their well-being or not. (I took it out btw).

mousymom191
Jr Member
Jr Member

Libra Sheepish

Back to top Go down

Post by MouseLover Sat 02 Feb 2019, 4:56 am

mousymom191 wrote: Have you heard of this actually happening to mice that used this? Or are you just inferring? B/c I wanna know if I should be concerned about their well-being or not. (I took it out btw).

If they're pooping normally, no need to be concerned. I've not heard of a specific case where a mouse has become ill from these, but if it could hurt your mice in theory, it's not worth the risk. It annoys me that pet shops sell these things as perfectly safe and edible when they're not. Mice can chew wood, but they're not supposed to eat large amounts of it, which could easily happen if you smoother it in honey Worry as pet owners we often blindly trust the pet stores and assume that they wouldn't sell something dangerous to our pets.

MouseLover

Scorpio Sleepy

https://www.instagram.com/lexymullins

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum