Pet Mouse Fanciers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How often do you give treats?

2 posters

Go down

How often do you give treats? Empty How often do you give treats?

Post by River Wed 22 Jun 2016, 11:55 am

I'm wondering if there's any treats I should/could give daily. I gave them two cheerios each yesterday, and some oats for Graham since she's still having wet feces - though Maier stole most of the oats while Graham glared away from her house. A lovely character - we're working on it.
How often do you guys give treats, and how many treats do you give at a time?

Remembering Mr. Bald ♂, Tipsy, Topsy, Maier, Graham & Garcia ♀
*Neutered male group. Do not house intact males together.*

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

How often do you give treats? Empty Re: How often do you give treats?

Post by CallaLily Wed 22 Jun 2016, 2:28 pm

Healthier treats you can give some daily. I think over on TFM it was said for Cheerios a max of 6 per mouse per day?  Something like that. Oats are also fine to offer daily. Mealworms around 3 per mouse per day.

I add in a pinch or so of oats, rye berries, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, brown rice, wild rice, chia, hemp seed, flax seed, nori, pumpkin seeds, mealworms (varies depending on what I have on hand) whenever I refill the food dish. Which is about every 2-3 days since I wait for them to empty it.

Other treats I have on hand right now that aren't as healthy so they don't get them often are: Peanut Butter Buddy Biscuits, Healthy Favorites Granola Biscuits, Melba Toast, Archer Farms Carrot Cake (these are very sugary),  and Pumpkin Seed Cheddar Crisp Bread.  These are maybe once a week.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:11 pm

CallaLily wrote:Healthier treats you can give some daily. I think over on TFM it was said for Cheerios a max of 6 per mouse per day?  Something like that. Oats are also fine to offer daily. Mealworms around 3 per mouse per day.

I add in a pinch or so of oats, rye berries, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, brown rice, wild rice, chia, hemp seed, flax seed, nori, pumpkin seeds, mealworms (varies depending on what I have on hand) whenever I refill the food dish. Which is about every 2-3 days since I wait for them to empty it.

Other treats I have on hand right now that aren't as healthy so they don't get them often are: Peanut Butter Buddy Biscuits, Healthy Favorites Granola Biscuits, Melba Toast, Archer Farms Carrot Cake (these are very sugary),  and Pumpkin Seed Cheddar Crisp Bread.  These are maybe once a week.

Hm. I think Archer Farms Carrot Cake would make for a nice birthday snack - especially for the older mice who celebrate more often. So far, they haven't tried many treats since I'm introducing whatever they have tried slowly in case of allergies, since I don't know if they have any currently. So far, they've tried millet, oats, cilantro, parsley, and cheerios.
I've heard oats should be fed either with caution, or in extreme moderation, seeing as they can swell uncomfortably in their stomach. So I'm assuming a little pinch a day is fine?

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:16 pm

I think that's a myth. Kind of like the rice one. A pinch of oats a day would be fine. Mostly, you just don't want them filling up on only oats.

Yes, the carrot cake would definitely be good for special occasions. I picked up a bag on clearance after Easter for under $1 I think. I had planned on them mostly being for me but I don't like them. Laughing They expire next month and I still have a lot left.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by River Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:22 pm

CallaLily wrote:I think that's a myth. Kind of like the rice one. A pinch of oats a day would be fine. Mostly, you just don't want them filling up on only oats.

Yes, the carrot cake would definitely be good for special occasions. I picked up a bag on clearance after Easter for under $1 I think. I had planned on them mostly being for me but I don't like them. Laughing  They expire next month and I still have a lot left.

I wonder if my girls would like them. They seem to like everything, albeit, I do find that they leave the pellets that come mixed into their seed mix in the bowl. Figures they'd be picky about that, if not anything else.

I'll give some oats and and things, then - putting them into a toilet-paper stuffed tube for them. Reminds me...are all toilet papers safe to put in mice cages?

River
River

Pisces Sweet Tooth

Back to top Go down

Post by CallaLily Wed 22 Jun 2016, 3:32 pm

I think as long as it isn't scented, it's fine.

CallaLily

Festive

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down